Emotional eaters - specially with sweet tooth - add me!

Options
I am beyond frustrated with my actions lately, especially that I am doing a company weight loss challenge - and can't get my *kitten* together because I have been going through a lot in my life and have been stress eating.

I have a hard time to say no to sweets! If you are like me and sweet stuff is your weakness please add me to your friends! I would like to see how you are dealing with stress eating and self control.

Thank you!

Replies

• FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me. You're doing great by trying to prioritize your health during stressful times.

I live with C-PTSD and one way that manifests for me is that I feel the need to eat at times when my body really doesn't need it. Makes dieting pretty difficult. Someone might argue, "But everyone feels that sometimes! You have to develop willpower." Sure, but for some that's asking a lot more than is realized.

It FEELS as if I'm starving and that it can only be resolved by high-fat, sugary foods. I get panic, light headedness, and shakes accompanied by waves of emotional turmoil. So that feeling is very real (in the moment) and can be quite persistent. Personally it comes from a history of neglect and food scarcity that my body remembers, although thankfully that's no longer a concern in my life. There's no physical problem, it's psychological- and I work with professionals to manage my health.

Emotional eating is a complicated thing but it can be overcome. I'm -62 lbs now and it's a struggle, but happening! Maybe we can support each other?
  • pandacsek
    pandacsek Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me. You're doing great by trying to prioritize your health during stressful times.

I live with C-PTSD and one way that manifests for me is that I feel the need to eat at times when my body really doesn't need it. Makes dieting pretty difficult. Someone might argue, "But everyone feels that sometimes! You have to develop willpower." Sure, but for some that's asking a lot more than is realized.

It FEELS as if I'm starving and that it can only be resolved by high-fat, sugary foods. I get panic, light headedness, and shakes accompanied by waves of emotional turmoil. So that feeling is very real (in the moment) and can be quite persistent. Personally it comes from a history of neglect and food scarcity that my body remembers, although thankfully that's no longer a concern in my life. There's no physical problem, it's psychological- and I work with professionals to manage my health.

Emotional eating is a complicated thing but it can be overcome. I'm -62 lbs now and it's a struggle, but happening! Maybe we can support each other?

Thank you for your reply! I added you, let's do this together!
  • Constance320
    Constance320 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I emotional eat all the time. I've been stress eating for a couple weeks, I'm fighting to get back on track today :/
  • sbshoe90
    sbshoe90 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Did you just describe me? Lol. It is definitely a struggle. I do fine all day but then in the evenings is when those sweet cravings really kick in. I'll add you!
  • pandacsek
    Options
    I think what it really comes down to is that we don't eat enough all day. I will try to up my calories a little bit and get more food for lunch and see where it takes me. Also, I have been skipping carbs entirely except for my veggies but like no bread, no pasta, rice etc. Maybe a slice of bread wouldn't hurt. But willpower? I lack. Hate to admit but I do. Anyway, thank you for adding me, let's do this together.
  • marashay001
    marashay001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think you all are describing my life for years!! It's been worse over the last 5 years. I finally decided to take the bull by the horns. I went to the doctor, we developed a plan, and I came home and threw out all of the things I could no longer eat. Anything that was still unopened, I donated to the food bank (maybe they need a sugar fix). Now my husband and my daughter have NOT been on board with the plan. They have brought food back in and have hidden it in the cupboard on one side that they claimed and told me I'm not allowed to open. I've found candy bars, cupcakes, snowballs, and other chocolate randomly in the house left where ever. It's been 37 days without a sweet!! Although I have lost weight I'm dying for a Dairy Queen Blizzard!!! HELP!! Add me for support please.
  • sloth2monkey38
    sloth2monkey38 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have sugar issues so badly. He has adhd so he uses it to calm him down he says and now he has diabetes so I feel like we both need to step back from packaged sweets. I'm overweight due to dependence on sweets I use them on any emotion. I think I just want to come up with healthier sweets. I have to find something that works.
  • pandacsek
    Options
    I think you all are describing my life for years!! It's been worse over the last 5 years. I finally decided to take the bull by the horns. I went to the doctor, we developed a plan, and I came home and threw out all of the things I could no longer eat. Anything that was still unopened, I donated to the food bank (maybe they need a sugar fix). Now my husband and my daughter have NOT been on board with the plan. They have brought food back in and have hidden it in the cupboard on one side that they claimed and told me I'm not allowed to open. I've found candy bars, cupcakes, snowballs, and other chocolate randomly in the house left where ever. It's been 37 days without a sweet!! Although I have lost weight I'm dying for a Dairy Queen Blizzard!!! HELP!! Add me for support please.

OMG thank you for sharing! For the most part, I don't keep any sweets around the house, I am the only one with sweet tooth anyway. But then I slip, just like that, and I get in the car and without thinking I drive to Ralphs and grab whatever I can find. Sometimes I open the reddi whip already in the car and spray it in my mouth because I can't wait to get home. Isn't it embarrassing?

IDK if we need serious help or what but it seems something bigger is taking over our lives. I am sure though there is something WE can do!

I added you btw.

I feel like the "one day at a time" feels more like "one minute at a time" for me.
  • pandygirl1563
    pandygirl1563 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater!! Feel free to add me anyone. I'm new on here! I'm not sure how to add a friend request, but look forward to making friends.

I like sweets!! I like food in general. When I have problems, or I'm going through something in my life, I will turn to food especially sweets. I don't buy sweets to store in my house, I try to keep everything that's unhealthy out of my place. So I can't indulge. because I know I have a weakness for it. It doesn't happen all the time just when I'm going through something and I feel upset or sad. It's the way to comfort and help myself to feel better. But it doesn't happen very often and I can go months without ever having desire for it. It's not nearly like it was before.

Thank you for sharing and I appreciate it very much.
  • gcmar
    gcmar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Feel free to add me as well! I am a self-proclaimed sugar *kitten* (as my friends and I call eachother...well, call me mostly!)! I am always craving something sweet and I'm also guilty of late night snacking when I've had a rough day. I'm tired of saying "Okay, time to get back on track" multiple times a week. This past weekend I was fed up, woke up, and said "Girl, let's do this!" Sunday was my first day of really paying attention, really logging what I actually eat, and really WANTING to do it. Today is day 3 of no/low sugar. I have been eating fruit to cure my cravings for sweet and found a birthday cake flavored protein bar with 1 g of sugar. Feeling less bloated today and actually feel pretty good!
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When I started at the end of February I was an emotional eater, would binge on sweets. I knew the only way I would lose weight was if I could break the habit of binging when I was emotional. So far I’ve lost almost 30lbs and when I’m stressed I get on the exercise bike. I have a sweet tooth so haven’t completely cut out chocolate because I know from past experience that by cutting it out I crave it more which causes me to fail. I think the first thing you need when losing weight is to be in the right frame of mind and have the determination to do it. Something that I was lacking in previous attempts.
    Feel free to add me.
  • very_berry_pop
    very_berry_pop Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same here, I binge very often. Feel free to add me.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater. Had an arguement with my wife and ate 3 chocolate bars that night! Its hard to stay on track with the stresses of the modern day. I've found excercise helps me alot - i end up thinking 'i'm not putting in all of this hard work just to sabotage it later!'. Feel free to add me. My diary is open to friends and i log all the bad and all the good.
  • pandacsek
    Options
    kelMee2 wrote: »
    When I started at the end of February I was an emotional eater, would binge on sweets. I knew the only way I would lose weight was if I could break the habit of binging when I was emotional. So far I’ve lost almost 30lbs and when I’m stressed I get on the exercise bike. I have a sweet tooth so haven’t completely cut out chocolate because I know from past experience that by cutting it out I crave it more which causes me to fail. I think the first thing you need when losing weight is to be in the right frame of mind and have the determination to do it. Something that I was lacking in previous attempts.
    Feel free to add me.

Right frame of mind? I feel like I have the right frame of mind every day when I wake up, I tell myself let's do this but then sometime around the afternoon I loose the frame of mind. I start to lose focus and don't care anymore. And repeat every day. Wake up determined just so I can sabotage myself by the end of the day.

OK, not every day. But sometimes. And it is VERY FRUSTRATING to say the least.
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I will send you a request. I am a huge emotional/stress eater. I've been dealing with some postpartum depression so that hasnt helped either. I logged on today and saw that my last entry on june 1st I ate 4 little debbie turtle brownies (that I logged).