any helpful ideas?

Options
lackie09
lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
I am a college student with very little cash. I am trying to eat healthier but for starters, I don't no where to start! what do I buy? it is just my bother and I eating usually and i would like to make meals that would last a couple of days or that can be frozen and eaten at a later time... any information on meals would be very much appreciated! mainly looking for lunch and dinner ideas so that were not eating the same thing every night. Also its kinda hot rt now so were looking for food that isnt going to add to that fact... but all ideas are welcome, like i said idk what im doing.

Replies

• mdagenb
    mdagenb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I was in school I would eat a lot of salad and veggies with cous cous. Add chicken or tofu to either of those for some added protien. If you find some good farmers markets you can get veggies for fairly cheap. I would make stirfry or veggies/couscous the night before for dinner and then pack them for lunch the next day. Tuna fish is great, good for you and cheap! Just dont add too much mayo, or instead of may add some vinegerette or mustard. I would add couscous to everything ebcause it was a "healthy filler" as long as you dont over do it, its cheap and takes 5min to cook.
  • JulieTX86
    JulieTX86 Posts: 303
    Options
    You should check out the book "Eat to live" Someone else (on MFP) recommended it to me and I havent even got a fraction of the way through and I really like it. (you can read the first chapter of it on barnes and nobles website www.bn.com)

It has recipes and everything. If you are struggling with not knowing what to eat then maybe check it out, it can at least start pointing you in the right direction.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Honestly you can eat what you want as long as you stay within your calorie range based on your current goal. I often eat chicken salads at mcdonalds, wendy's, etc, and enjoy teriaki turkey burgers at carl's jr. For breakfast I have a serving of Shakeology which keeps me full and is only 150 calories which averages about $4 per serving. Definately cheaper than a salad. Basically you just have to get online and look at the different websites to see calories. Some salads can be well over 700 calories so use have dressing packets and avoid the croutons. I eat what I want and just make sure I'm always below my calories for the day. Easy 10 pounds in like 3 weeks with minimal effort. You can buy groceries if you want but then you'll have a hard time logging the food ingredients. Lean Cusine and some of the others are very easy just scan the barcode and you're done. Also keeps portion control in check. Good luck!
  • JulieTX86
    JulieTX86 Posts: 303
    Options
    Honestly you can eat what you want as long as you stay within your calorie range based on your current goal. I often eat chicken salads at mcdonalds, wendy's, etc, and enjoy teriaki turkey burgers at carl's jr. For breakfast I have a serving of Shakeology which keeps me full and is only 150 calories which averages about $4 per serving. Definately cheaper than a salad. Basically you just have to get online and look at the different websites to see calories. Some salads can be well over 700 calories so use have dressing packets and avoid the croutons. I eat what I want and just make sure I'm always below my calories for the day. Easy 10 pounds in like 3 weeks with minimal effort. You can buy groceries if you want but then you'll have a hard time logging the food ingredients. Lean Cusine and some of the others are very easy just scan the barcode and you're done. Also keeps portion control in check. Good luck!

This may make you look thinner on the outside but what about clogged arteries? Just because you are thin (or thinner) doesn't mean you are healthy. I wouldn't recommend eating "often" at fast food restaurants. Yikes!!
  • lackie09
    lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ill have to look into the cous cous never heard of it thanks!