Have you ever been bullied for how much you weighed or how you looked?

Options
I created this not only because I want share my experiences but because I would like to hear some of yours too. Bullying can be both in person or virtually but either way it still hurts the same. I recall not only getting bullied by people from my school but also from my family. I became this self conscious girl who no longer had confidence in herself. I refused going to the beach or the pool and made up excuses as to why i couldn't go when i knew that it was because I hated my body and i didn't want others to see me. The reason I started losing weight was because I didn't want to give people a reason to call me fat. I'm never going to forget the time a guy I used to crush on told me to talk to him once I lost some weight. I felt worthless and disgusting. I started doing crazy diets and sometimes not even eating anything at all. I looked up ways to lose weight in 2 weeks and started working out (only cardio at the time) every day for more than two hours. I was done with middle school and I wanted high school to be a different experience. My mom started going to the gym and she got a personal trainer and then she taught me everything she learned. She also began making healthy meals and in a matter of months I had dropped 10 pounds! When I got to school, guys were suddenly interested in me. Those who bullied me now wanted me and I hated that because I was still the same person with the same memories. I finally realized how pathetic it was of me to lose weight for them. I realized that the only one who would benefit from this was myself and I need to change my habits for that. I needed a different lifestyle even if it was a much longer process. Let's just say that is exactly what I did. Not only did I look better, I felt better. My only motivation was to be able to lift more or do more push ups... it was no longer about losing weight. Today, I love myself. I forgave those who bullied me and moved on. My point is, your goals shouldn't be about losing 20 or 30 pounds in a matter of weeks or months. It should be about changing your lifestyle and eating habits to maintain those pounds you have lost forever!

Replies

• dani_lopera
    dani_lopera Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I will reply to everyone who comments in this because it's always good to have someone there to help you out or just listen to you. My goal is to help motivate you. You are not alone in this.
  • hydrostation
    hydrostation Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is gospel!

So glad those negative experienced turned into such a positive for you. I had a similar experience and it took me a long time to find out who I actually was inside. Love hearing stuff like this!
  • New2ket0
    New2ket0 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t matter what you look like what weight you are or your choices in life , bullies pick at you for anything and everything, they are the ones with the problem.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Dani, you look adorable in your photo, it's crazy to think that ten pounds would make that much difference in how others treated you. But I believe it, high school was crazy.

I was thin in high school so that was never an issue, but I used to get teased because my legs were pale and had callouses on the calves, since when others were "laying out" in the sun, I was riding horses. In fact I failed gym class because I refused to wear gym shorts in front of the bullies. I like to think times have changed since then - at the time no one thought to ask if I had a reason not to dress out, and it never would have occurred to me to go to an adult for help, since I knew from experience teachers always sided with the bullies. Hopefully there's more awareness today.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    When I was first starting to lose weight I would run on the street and some awful girls driving by yelled out "keep running fatty" I was about 240lbs then. Anyways, I took their advice and i now weigh 90lbs less and don't have 4 kids from unknown dads like I'm sure they do. I'm still bitter that a portion of my paycheck pays for their cigarettes and used iphones but they had excellent advice, although a little rude.
  • dani_lopera
    Options
    This is gospel!

So glad those negative experienced turned into such a positive for you. I had a similar experience and it took me a long time to find out who I actually was inside. Love hearing stuff like this!

You look great! What matters is that you found yourself no matter how long it took. I hope things stay great for you.
  • dani_lopera
    Options
    New2ket0 wrote: »
    It doesn’t matter what you look like what weight you are or your choices in life , bullies pick at you for anything and everything, they are the ones with the problem.

You're right. I've noticed that those who pick on others are not happy with their lives. Those who insult others are insecure. Those who bully are troubled and alone. Which is why i forgave them.
  • dani_lopera
    Options
    Yes I've been bullied for some years over the last three decades - and still am to a greater or lesser extent.

After I left my job working in the UK media, I worked for a newly elected MP as his Press and Communications Aide and sadly received obscene comments and threats in the local media about me, my politics and my family - all down to the size of my bra and waistline. I left my work in early May as I had had enough of it all.

Glad everything worked out for you. I now avoid digesting the local media so I do not see any further crass comments about me on the discussion/comments sections. However, I'm losing weight (and have been for almost a year) not due to the comments, but because I want to get in shape to please me. I am also far happier now I am out of that toxic environment of politics too.

I am so sorry that this has been happening to you for so many years. You must be so tired of it. You did something not many are able to do... getting away from an abusive and disastrous environment. Those people had zero respect for you and that is far from ok. I am glad you are doing better now and working on yourself for YOURSELF. You are an inspiration... never forget that.
  • TheBigDog29
    TheBigDog29 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I definitely was and am. When I was in school I was picked on because I could hardly bench the bar. When I tried out for football I was constantly harassed but nothing was done because it was the “star” of the team doing it. My mom used to call me skinny and a twig. As I got older and I started to gain she would call me “no neck” and all. Now that I’m in the gym and finding myself getting bigger and stronger, I get accused of being on steroids. So it never ends. But I need to be happy with me. And no one else.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I used to get called "Kirby Puckett" because I was pretty athletic even though I was fairly overweight. I know my friends meant it as a compliment, but it still stung inside.

However, I can't fathom ugliness some people have in their souls that makes them think it's fun to ridicule another person for their appearance.

That being said, I do wish people would start to live healthier lifestyles... mainly because so many health issues are caused by the average diet most people eat and also because you do feel better and have more energy when you're eating right.

It's tough to bring that up in an average conversation though without hurting feelings, so I usually don't unless they say something first.
  • anwade01
    anwade01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I received many rude comments directed towards my weight. For instance, during disagreements, certain people would always feel the need to mention how fat I was. On the other hand, sometimes people would just comment on how overweight I was upon me making an entrance into a room....

I eventually lost weight for everyone else. However, ALL of that was regained and more. Last June is when I finally decided for myself that living unhealthily was/is unacceptable. I am now in an acceptable weight range for my height & I plan on keeping it this way. :smile:
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am in the 160s range and was at the vet's office with the cat recently. Yes I would rather be 125-135 lbs at about 5'4 1/2". I have lost 35 lbs apx., though. I have had 3 different vet's say what my cat should weigh. I finally thought he is in the right range, but this different vet said that he should be a few pounds less. I was astonished and said that this is the 4th different weight recommended--3 by other vets. He has lost about 3 1/2 pounds already. Well she looked at me from my face to my stomach 3-4 obvious times in a row while sticking to her position. I could not believe her. It was so embarrassing and my 29 year old daughter and my favorite vet tech witnessed this. I have to thank her someday because she gave me my determination back for myself. I have been in a rut for awhile. The cat--well if he loses 1 more pound--that will be enough in my book--probably. I wish some people were not so mean. They aren't perfect, even if it looks like their weight is good.
  • import_soul
    import_soul Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was bullied all throughout elementary, middle and high school for my weight. It has made me lose faith in humans to some degree and it persists to this day. Nowadays, I try to keep to myself for the most part, but it gets lonely.