Road trip Snack Ideas!

Options
Kgerber777
Kgerber777 Posts: 105 Member
My family and I are going to be leaving bright and early Sunday morning for a road trip! While I am not going to be logging my food I do want to try and make some healthy decisions. Typically when spending long periods of time in the car I tend to eat pretty much Non-Stop! I am open to any and all snack suggestions, but preferably nothing that needs to be refrigerated!TIA

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Take what you like, as much as you want. Where are you going?
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    No matter what you take, if you eat non-stop while sitting in a car, that's not great. Bringing food will just make that worse. You might want to pack lollipops, gum, peppermints, etc to drop the snacking. Bottled water as well.

I would pick items that are low cal and take a while to eat, since it sounds like you are eating out of boredom rather than hunger. Can you do an ice chest? Carrot sticks, hummus & chips, crackers with peanut butter with that little red stick, popcorn.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn, apples, veggies and dip
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Coffee, diet soda, maybe a protein bar. I’d rather eat at my destination than in my car. Plus, I’m not expending much energy just sitting in the same spot for hours at a time.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit, crudites such as carrot sticks, jerky. Have some cool music on hand so you don't eat out of boredom.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to eat in the car? I'd not take anything, besides a drink.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If mindless snacking is a problem, then don't bring snacks. If you need to, you can pick up a granola bar or a piece of fruit or beef jerky at a gas station along the way. I'd much rather eat at a local restaurant and be hungry for a meal than to eat a bunch of stuff in the car.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn & apples work for me during long road trips, but I snack much less in general now and that has translated to snacking less the car. When you are traveling long distances with kids, the temptation will be to eat their crackers, juice packs, applesauce packs, etc. Don't. Have your own stash.
  • Kgerber777
    Options
    Take what you like, as much as you want. Where are you going?

We are headed to Cannon Beach in Oregon:)
  • Kgerber777
    Options
    Why do you need to eat in the car? I'd not take anything, besides a drink.

We are hoping not to take any more stops than we have to and I will be spending most of our stops feeding my 6 month old baby.