Explain like I'm stupid - Air Frier/Actifry

Options
kdbulger
kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
I'm curious about air friers and whether I should get one - explain to me like I'm really dumb how they work and what sorts of things you can make. If you can give me some examples of conventional fried food nutrition versus actifry nutrition for a similar item, I'd be grateful. Do you find it easy to track stuff you make in your air frier on MFP?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They are just convection ovens. I use my convection oven primarily for making wings or "fried" chicken. It's definitely not the same as fried, but it's pretty good and easier on the calories.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    mojo6812 wrote: »
    my hubby and kids/ teenagers don’t like it so put it out of my reach 🙄

This made me chuckle hahaha. Also, I didn't realize they'd been around for a decade already.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    They are just convection ovens. I use my convection oven primarily for making wings or "fried" chicken. It's definitely not the same as fried, but it's pretty good and easier on the calories.

That makes sense. So theoretically, using a small amount of oil and my convection oven, I should be able to accomplish similar without having an extra thing on my counter? I dig it.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Your oven might have a convection option, they have toaster ovens with convection options, I wouldn't invest in a stand alone unit.
    I have found they cook foods a lot quicker and more evenly. I never used it for air frying, I just used it because it cooks well.
  • Mazda_Mx5
    Mazda_Mx5 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I bought one at walmart and I found it to be use less.
  • FrankCanDoit
    FrankCanDoit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have one and I use it all the time instead of my George Foreman grill for chicken. I take a little tiny bit of low calorie butter spray and spread on the chicken and I can have her bread crumbs and I flaking on the chicken and I can I put it in there set it for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees and walk away. chicken comes out with a little crush on it and Juicy and Delicious every single time. I have a convection oven also but I don't see them as being basically the same thing or similar but different. I compare mortgage like a George Foreman grill if I was to make it a comparison mainly because of the size. why do you want to get an air fryer what do you want to cook with it anything in particular?
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It does the same thing an oven does.. I do find it crisps items up more than I'm able to get them in the oven. The main reason I like it is because I only cook for 2 people, so it's nice to not have to heat up the whole oven for something small. I can easily fit our 2 chicken breasts or cubed potatoes or cauliflower for a side dish (not all at once, one or the other), no need to use the oven. Easy clean up too. We use ours several times a week!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

In use mine to make hardee's style steak biscuits.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I use mine for fries and to make chicken nuggets. We're gluten free, and I hate using a deep fryer, so I coat chicken, drizzle with olive oil, and then come back 25 minutes later. I like that it stirs for me and I can ignore it completely.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I make a chicken and vegetable stir fry often. I have even thrown a piece of garlic bread in it before too. But mostly french fries either bought or home made. My only disaster was perogies. They broke open. I have thrown taquitos in it and were good. Chicken drumsticks. And the part that gets dirty can go in the dishwasher.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'd get a convection oven instead!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I love my air fryer- I use it to make sausages and onion and peppers, fries, chicken strip, and wonderful fish with a light crust Yummy