Pre-Diabetic and serious about Keto

Options
CarrieA140
CarrieA140 Posts: 20 Member
edited July 2018 in Introduce Yourself
My doctor is recommending the Keto diet based upon my pre-diabetic status. WW did not work too well for me. I think the carbs were too high for my body. I tried Atkins in the past and it worked great. I just had a hard time sticking to it. Also, I have been listening to negative comments from people who tell me that Keto is not healthy. Well, no more because I now have my doctor's endorsement. I've decided that as long as I feel full I should be able to follow the diet and not cheat. When I'm starving, I'm really out of control and grabbing everything high-carb in sight. I'm hoping to find some keto, pre-diabetic friends to walk with me on this journey. Going to try to start running and lifting weights too. Waiting for the Keto strips to change to dark purple!

Replies

• rangerboy574
    rangerboy574 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My doctor is recommending the Keto diet based upon my pre-diabetic status. WW did not work too well for me. I think the carbs were too high for my body. I tried Atkins in the past and it worked great. I just had a hard time sticking to it. Also, I have been listening to negative comments from people who tell me that Keto is not healthy. Well, no more because I now have my doctor's endorsement. I've decided that as long as I feel full I should be able to follow the diet and not cheat. When I'm starving, I'm really out of control and grabbing everything high-carb in sight. I'm hoping to find some keto, pre-diabetic friends to walk with me on this journey. Going to try to start running and lifting weights too. Waiting for the Keto strips to change to dark purple!

Do it but keep it simple. I wrote a long breakdown of my experience and hit the wrong button and it was lost. If you have any questions feel free to friend me and ask or just respond on the post. I keep it very simple. 50 grams of carbs or less. It's been a miracle cure for me.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I also was pre-diabetic and came out of it by losing a small amount of weight.

I still don't know what keto is, although I see it mentioned so many times on this site.

Nevertheless, I wish you all the best on your journey to better health.
  • Erinloveable
    Erinloveable Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I first seen what people eat on Keto, I thought I would speed up my progress to a heart attack and I'd have one the first week. But that's not what happened.

Here are some truths I discovered in my own body in early keto (not advice, I am not a doctor):

-I binged fat the first week (cheese strings, cheese, cream cheese, coconut oil treats, butter, pecans, olives, pork rinds). I was terrified I was gaining weight but I was still hungry so I ate. I had a full on binge that ended up being
    about 600 calories and I was amazed (carb binges were usually 2500-4000 calories) . I got nauseous long before I got stuffed. By day 5 I started to lose my appetite and I still lost 5lbs that first week.

-I had pressure in my chest every day before I started. I was afraid to have a heart attack. But even so I told myself I am gonna eat what I want to sooth my inner child and after my first heart attack is when I will stop (but then I looked 10 months pregnant in a store window and quickly changed my mind Lol).
    After the first week the pressure feeling was gone.

-After the first week I drained nearly 5lbs of water and sleeping in my body became way more comfortable.

-I don't have to feel weak on any diet, I just needed salt (electrolytes). After day 3 and 5 I never felt bad again.

-I am not hungry! I can't maintain hunger. I will feel ready for my one meal a day and get up to make it and stop wanting it. Half the time I don't even want to swallow what I made, like I was already stuffed (some people stay hungrier than that I hear but not like before)

-At first I was tired but now I need less sleep. I like sleep. Most people like that though, so I mentioned it.

-Before my diet I was eating enough pasta for 5 people in one sitting a day, sometimes a whole medium pizza, sometimes a grocery day binge and just generally assumed I had a condition where I can't get full until my stomach is about to burst. It was just because I was high carb, low fat (on pasta days so most of the time).
    Now I can eat my meal, feel comfortable and forget about food right afterwards.

-I can still have (altered) pizza, desserts, berries, fried food and even pasta if I didn't find Miracle noodles so gross. I am not hurting for choice and I don't sit around wishing I can have the things that keep me fat and starving.
    Instead I wish for stuff I can have like lettuce tacos with beef, cheese and sour cream.

-I have lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks. Because I am just under calories but also not eating more than 15 net carbs a day. It will slow down, I probably had a lot of inflammation and fat around my organs.

June 26, 204 lbs.. July 17, 192 lbs

Just one tip: There will be a flu. You may feel groggy, stoned, weak and slow for a while. Google "Keto electrolyte drink", drink salty broth and plenty of water. Salt isn't the same in early keto as it is for a normal diet because you are a pee machine. Also Google keto food list and only have that in the house if you can.
    That's my only real advice about this.
  • CarrieA140
    Options
    Thank you, rangerboy674, kommodevaran and Erinloveable for responding. Today is day 4 and I have lost 6.5 pounds on the scales. My pants waist is slightly looser which is exciting. I know it's only water weight to begin with but that's to be expected. My keto strips show I'm at the "small" level of ketones. Erinloveable, like you, I have been struggling with visceral fat and inflammation which is very uncomfortable. My stomach is already a bit flatter so I'm very encouraged. I'm hoping to lose 1.5 to 2 lb per week. Tonight I had a delicious piece of grilled salmon and asparagus cooked in coconut oil. for dinner and I'm very full. I really feel I can do this. The hardest part has been meeting the daily calorie requirement and I'm wondering if (all of you) in your experience that MFP's caloric goal is correct for Keto. Do you think it's on the low side? I have been eating until I'm full but no more and haven't been able to get as low as 1200 (for 2 lb per week) or 1250 for 1.5 lb per week. My macro nutrients ratios are right on target though. I'm at about 1350 to 1400. I'm going to have to look at my old WW records to see how many calories I was eating back then, probably more like 1450.
  • Erinloveable
    Erinloveable Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I lost my appetite. There are a few days I go over but on a 1200 calorie diet fluctuation can keep things moving. If you are struggling with calories, you might consider dropping to two meals a day. I can't have 3 small meals because it makes me feel like I am always eating but never full. And the 1200 closes in on me fast. What I prefer to do is wait until I am hungry, have my meal that fills me and if my calories are far too low (400-700), I force feed a few snacks. People say not to force yourself but I could easily undereat everyday and mess my life up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    CarrieA140 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to lose 1.5 to 2 lb per week. The hardest part has been meeting the daily calorie requirement and I'm wondering if (all of you) in your experience that MFP's caloric goal is correct for Keto. Do you think it's on the low side? I have been eating until I'm full but no more and haven't been able to get as low as 1200 (for 2 lb per week) or 1250 for 1.5 lb per week. My macro nutrients ratios are right on target though. I'm at about 1350 to 1400. I'm going to have to look at my old WW records to see how many calories I was eating back then, probably more like 1450.
    Your calorie need is based on your height and weight, not what kind of diet you're eating. If you feel it's on the low side, you're probably right. (A good thing about that, is that you're probably logging correctly, too. People you approach weightloss with "how am I going to eat all this food", cut corners and cheat.) You can know it for a fact by comparing the calories you get when you tell the program that you want to lose 2 or 1.5 pounds per week, just like you have done. To lose 1 pound, you need a deficit of 3500 calories. To lose it in a week, you need a daily deficit of 500 calories. MFP's minimum recommendation is 1200 calories. So when the difference between a 2 pound loss and a 1.5 pound loss is less than 250 calories, you know that 1.5 pounds is the most you can expect to lose per week, in fat, at your current weight. And that is if you stick to it. If you have trouble sticking to it, it won't happen.
    Tonight I had a delicious piece of grilled salmon and asparagus cooked in coconut oil. for dinner and I'm very full. I really feel I can do this.
    This sounds very promising. But it doesn't really match the rest of your post.
  • CarrieA140
    Options
    I'm down 9 lb on the scales on day 5 so not going to worry too much about being over 1250 calories per day. Looked back at my WW records and I was eating about 1480 a day.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    CarrieA140 wrote: »

Congrats on your progress and your commitment!

To the bolded - the light/dark/in-between color on the strips is pretty meaningless. Your hydration and the amount of urine you produce will greatly affect the color of the strips (the more you pee, the more the urine will be diluted and the lighter the color will show on the strip) - just look for some color and that will indicate that your body is creating ketones (all the info that you really need) and don't get to tied up in how dark the color is.
  • CarrieA140
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that.
  • wyntarra
    wyntarra Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I first seen what people eat on Keto, I thought I would speed up my progress to a heart attack and I'd have one the first week. But that's not what happened.

Here are some truths I discovered in my own body in early keto (not advice, I am not a doctor):

-I binged fat the first week (cheese strings, cheese, cream cheese, coconut oil treats, butter, pecans, olives, pork rinds). I was terrified I was gaining weight but I was still hungry so I ate. I had a full on binge that ended up being
    about 600 calories and I was amazed (carb binges were usually 2500-4000 calories) . I got nauseous long before I got stuffed. By day 5 I started to lose my appetite and I still lost 5lbs that first week.

-I had pressure in my chest every day before I started. I was afraid to have a heart attack. But even so I told myself I am gonna eat what I want to sooth my inner child and after my first heart attack is when I will stop (but then I looked 10 months pregnant in a store window and quickly changed my mind Lol).
    After the first week the pressure feeling was gone.

-After the first week I drained nearly 5lbs of water and sleeping in my body became way more comfortable.

-I don't have to feel weak on any diet, I just needed salt (electrolytes). After day 3 and 5 I never felt bad again.

-I am not hungry! I can't maintain hunger. I will feel ready for my one meal a day and get up to make it and stop wanting it. Half the time I don't even want to swallow what I made, like I was already stuffed (some people stay hungrier than that I hear but not like before)

-At first I was tired but now I need less sleep. I like sleep. Most people like that though, so I mentioned it.

-Before my diet I was eating enough pasta for 5 people in one sitting a day, sometimes a whole medium pizza, sometimes a grocery day binge and just generally assumed I had a condition where I can't get full until my stomach is about to burst. It was just because I was high carb, low fat (on pasta days so most of the time).
    Now I can eat my meal, feel comfortable and forget about food right afterwards.

-I can still have (altered) pizza, desserts, berries, fried food and even pasta if I didn't find Miracle noodles so gross. I am not hurting for choice and I don't sit around wishing I can have the things that keep me fat and starving.
    Instead I wish for stuff I can have like lettuce tacos with beef, cheese and sour cream.

-I have lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks. Because I am just under calories but also not eating more than 15 net carbs a day. It will slow down, I probably had a lot of inflammation and fat around my organs.

June 26, 204 lbs.. July 17, 192 lbs

Just one tip: There will be a flu. You may feel groggy, stoned, weak and slow for a while. Google "Keto electrolyte drink", drink salty broth and plenty of water. Salt isn't the same in early keto as it is for a normal diet because you are a pee machine. Also Google keto food list and only have that in the house if you can.
    That's my only real advice about this.

Hi Erinlovable, I noticed your comment about the Miracle Noodles. Here in Australia I sometimes eat something similar to it called Slendier and they are not as nasty or ugly smelling. In fact I don't even notice an odour. It's still konjac noodles. But I also will sometimes use spaghetti squash if I have the available carbs for the day or make zucchini noodles. Just ideas for you. :)
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    hi Carrie A140, I have T2 diabetes and am managing it with medication and diet. You seem to be in the euphoria phase which accompanies rapid weight loss. Please try to have some strategies in place in case you have to make adjustments, even for a short time. If you haven't already, maybe visit a diabetes website/forum and ask the people there about keto and very low calorie diets, how they cope on those diets, how they stay on or come off them successfully and how they reintroduce carbs. I wish you lots of success on your weight loss journey :)