Low calorie pancake recipe

Options
alexistexas33
alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
Hello!

Does anyone know a low calorie recipe for pancakes?

Perferred with berries :)

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I do dutch pancakes which are thin and similar to french crepes.

The trick to doing low calorie pancakes is having a very good non stick pan so virtually no fat is needed. I use the new generation of stone coated frying pans, where I need no fat in the pan if I add a tablespoon of melted butter to a family sized quantity of batter. I've done them with no fat at all in the stone pan, but they become more difficult to flip. Another trick is to use buttermilk or skim milk. Add as many berries as you like as that's marginal in terms of calories. Serve with a sugar free syrup.

Dutch pancakes for a good non stick pan:
    250g flour
    2 eggs
    500 ml skim milk or low fat buttermilk
    1 tblsp melted butter
    a pinch of salt
    as many berries as you like (or thinly sliced apple when berries are out of season)

Get a large non stick pan to medium high heat. Put in a ladleful batter with no added fat. Swirl to evenly coat the bottom of the pan. When bubbles appear in the centre, flip. I need to use a wooden or plastic spatula for flipping. The hubby is handy with flicking his wrist and flipping them midair, but I am unfortunately not. I find it easiest to cook a big stack of pancakes and then reheat them all for a minute or two in the microwave rather than trying to keep them warm in the oven.

I swear by my stone frying pan as it is my first truly non stick pan and no danger of toxic fumes if you overheat them. Here's info if you are not familiar with this type of product.
    https://www.stonefryingpans.com/5-best-stone-frying-pan-brands/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say to whisk together the batter ingredients until smooth, then stir in the fruit.

If you are a small household this recipe will be too much batter. It is easier to freeze excess batter in a ziploc bag than freezing finished pancakes. Take the batter out of the freezer the night before to defrost in the fridge, and cut off a corner of the bag to pipe onto your hot pan in the morning.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you would consider this low calorie, but I am gluten free so this is my go to for a quick and easy morning breakfast:

Smash up an extra ripe banana and mix with one egg and a half scoop of vanilla whey protein powder (the protein powder is optional, but it does add some sweetness so I would add a bit of Splenda if you don't use it). Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and cook like a pancake. I top mine with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a half tablespoon of blueberry jam. I think it's delicious and it keeps me very satisfied, much more than regular pancakes. The calories are 337 with 38g carbs, 10g fat and 22g protein (if using the protein powder, 12g if not). It's about 210 calories for just the pancake.
  • daynajason
    daynajason Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Low cal protein pancakes: 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup plain Greek nonfat yogurt, 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, 1/4 cup nonfat egg whites from carton, pinch of cinnamon & nutmeg, dash of vanilla extract. I put mixture in nutribullet for 30 seconds, then u could add berries if u like after mixing. Spray pan with non stick spray. I think they r yummy and filling. Ends up being 200 calories for the batch. I make 1 HUGE pancake for myself in a medium circular frypan. U can totally make smaller pancakes or double or triple the batch. Sometimes I'll meal prep extra pancakes on Sundays for the week. Heat up in microwave nicely. Add a bit of sugar free jelly in place of syrup. Yum.