When should i start my bulk?

Options
Hi i’ve been cutting since febuary and this is how my body looks like right now but im already getting tired of being in calorie deficit but if i have to still cut before i bulk i will do it and just suck it up till im able to bulk :D any tips woould be helpful 1fhzv10sbt3z.jpeg
rmdgpl1l04v0.jpeg
ypse8xgd1j0p.png

Replies

• OnalimOjag
    OnalimOjag Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I’m around 5’6 or 5’7 btw and fluctuating at the weight 143-145lbs
  • OnalimOjag
    Options
    Woops the 3rd photo was a photo of me before i started my cut. Here is my photo rn vjm20xaolfgq.jpeg
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    keep cutting at a slight deficit. not lean enough for a bulk imo
  • OnalimOjag
    Options
    keep cutting at a slight deficit. not lean enough for a bulk imo

Alright, i will do a .5lbs/wk weight loss just so I could eat more. Do you think i should cut till i see my abs?
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Have you started lifting this year?
  • OnalimOjag
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    Have you started lifting this year?
    I’ve been lifting since I started my cut. Actually, i’ve been lifting since 2015 but never really cared about my diet and just ate anything I wanted.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a diet break and resume your cut. I wouldn't cut too much as you start to get mid to low weight for your height it becomes unproductive especially if you are no longer seeing visual results.

Alternatively you can recomp to lean down but that can be very slow.

I would not bulk yet.
  • OnalimOjag
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Maybe take a diet break and resume your cut. I wouldn't cut too much as you start to get mid to low weight for your height it becomes unproductive especially if you are no longer seeing visual results.

I would not bulk yet.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve looked up a lot about recomp but its really slow so I will just cut on a .5lbs/wk instead of 1lbs/week so I could eat a little bit more. Do you think I should cut till I see my abs before bulking?
  • sardelsa
    edited July 2018
    Options
    OnalimOjag wrote: »

I would not bulk yet.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve looked up a lot about recomp but its really slow so I will just cut on a .5lbs/wk instead of 1lbs/week so I could eat a little bit more. Do you think I should cut till I see my abs before bulking?

Since you are already at a healthy weight without any ab definition, there is a chance you may not see your abs until you become close to or underweight which is not a good goal. While abs are revealed by low bodyfat, you also need adequate muscle base for them to show.

What does your lifting look like, how much did you lose total and how fast? Also are you getting enough protein? This will affect how much muscle you retained as you lost.
  • OnalimOjag
    Options

I would not bulk yet.

Since you are already at a healthy weight without any ab definition, there is a chance you may not see your abs until you become close to or underweight which is not a good goal. While abs are revealed by low bodyfat, you also need adequate muscle base for them to show.

What does your lifting look like, how much did you lose total and how fast? Also are you getting enough protein? This will affect how much muscle you retained as you lost.

I did 5x5 for quite a while then recently I tried doing a 5 day split of one muscle group per day and I actually liked it since it made me feel better going to the gym 5x instead of 3x. I was 159lbs when I started and now I’m at 143. I started march 21 so its almost been 4 months. I simed a 1lbs/week weight loss
  • OnalimOjag
    Options

I would not bulk yet.

I was also taking in at least 140-150g or more protein per day. I domt think I’ve lost any muscle mass or at least minimal cause I was able to lift more on compound lifts and maintain my isolation lifts weight.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    In that case, it could just be a matter of how much muscle you are working with.

I would keep cutting, very slow, 0.5lb per week. Once you hit close to the middle weight range for your height (so about 135lbs or so) then you can reevaluate and see where you are and if you are ready to start a bulk.
  • OnalimOjag
    Options
    In that case, it could just be a matter of how much muscle you are working with.

I would keep cutting, very slow, 0.5lb per week. Once you hit close to the middle weight range for your height (so about 135lbs or so) then you can reevaluate and see where you are and if you are ready to start a bulk.

Will do! Thanks so much for the tips! I would probably take a break from cut for at least 2 weeks and just do maintenance as I really want to eat more food especially I’m travelling for the next 2 weeks.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Will do! Thanks so much for the tips! I would probably take a break from cut for at least 2 weeks and just do maintenance as I really want to eat more food especially I’m travelling for the next 2 weeks.

Oh yea if you are feeling tired of the deficit and especially if you are travelling, go for a nice diet break and then you can get back to it when you get home! I am taking a diet break soon, I've only been at it since May but I need one :)