Morningstar

Options
blink1021
blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
Been having trouble losing the weight no matter what I do I am having trouble losing so I decided to make some changes and start with the Morningstar products they seem to be lower in calories, and sodium than regular protein. I went to the grocery store tonight and stood there looking for what felt like hours because I couldn't decide. I finally chose veggie corn dogs and grillin turkey to try. What I want to know is from all you out there that love these products or use them what are your favorite flavors and products are also if you wouldn't mind the grocery store you find it at. I live in upstate NY and we do not have Trader Joes or a Whole Foods. Any help would be appreciated at narrowing down my search. I am also a little intimidated by all the ingredients listed are they really good for you and better than regular protein?

Replies

• rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian? If not, I say keep it simple and stick to white meat chicken and lean beef. I haven't read the label, but I'm betting Morningstar has added sodium and maybe even some strange hard to pronounce ingredients that you may not want to put in your body.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    We eat the Veggie sausages. Seem to do the trick for protein first thing in the a.m. Been eating them for about 3 years. We get them at Albertsons (expensive) or Costco for much less!! We are in Idaho, so a few miles from N.Y. :bigsmile:
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    All I know is they are DELICIOUS. You can buy them at pretty much any grocery store... Walmart will have them significantly cheaper than a smaller grocery store, as you would expect.
    My favorite is the Garden Veggie Patties, which really just tastes like a vegetable patty (probably why they named it that).
    If you're in the mood for something that tastes more like a burger, try the Original Griller... also delicious.
    If I'm in the mood for a spicy flavor, I like the Spicy Black Bean Burger.
    I've had the Tomato Basil patty once and it was pretty decent, but more like a pizza type flavor.

Just do be careful because they do pack some sodium.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    The "chicken" nuggets are SOOOO good :D wish I could afford Morningstar stuff...it's so expensive here! :O
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them a lot (I'm not a vegetarian, just a picky-meat eater) but they are full of preservatives. The sodium isn't extraordinary high, but higher than if you made something simple at home. Lean protein is the best bang for your money and your health, if you're in a rush, it really won't take any more time to cook something homemade. Preparing in advance is the key as is making a good shopping list!
  • blink1021
    Options
    The "chicken" nuggets are SOOOO good :D wish I could afford Morningstar stuff...it's so expensive here! :O

It definitely isn't cheap here either hopeful to find coupons or find them in bulk at Sams Club
  • blink1021
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian? If not, I say keep it simple and stick to white meat chicken and lean beef. I haven't read the label, but I'm betting Morningstar has added sodium and maybe even some strange hard to pronounce ingredients that you may not want to put in your body.

No not a vegetarian just looking for alternatives can not have red meat and for me if I have to eat chicken constantly I will get bored and turn to carbs. Am a little concerned about the ingredients.
  • burtchma
    Options
    I like the veggie sausage. My son and I eat that in the am with egg beaters. Its Delicious!! I also like the original griller. The other product that taste pretty good is the lasagna. Good Luck
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Do you have Target? I get mine there and they go on sale frequently. I like mini corn dogs, chicken nuggets, and buffalo wings. They taste different, but good.
  • nessajk
    nessajk Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm a longtime vegetarian and I have tried to cut down on faux meat a bit because of all the processing, but I still have some faves. :) I like the crumbles a lot for things like tacos. Super tasty. Another idea is to try the Quorn line if you have it available to you. It's made from mushroom mycoprotein instead of soy, and some of their products are ridiculously low cal.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about the ingredients, I've found Gardenburger brand to actually have less "strange stuff" in it, and they're usually a bit cheaper as well.
  • BrandieB3
    BrandieB3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    the chicken nuggets and patties are good- what about fish? Also' vegan sloppy joe and vegan chili are good'
  • blink1021
    Options
    I'm a longtime vegetarian and I have tried to cut down on faux meat a bit because of all the processing, but I still have some faves. :) I like the crumbles a lot for things like tacos. Super tasty. Another idea is to try the Quorn line if you have it available to you. It's made from mushroom mycoprotein instead of soy, and some of their products are ridiculously low cal.

Thanks I will look into it.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Been having trouble losing the weight no matter what I do I am having trouble losing so I decided to make some changes and start with the Morningstar products they seem to be lower in calories, and sodium than regular protein. I went to the grocery store tonight and stood there looking for what felt like hours because I couldn't decide. I finally chose veggie corn dogs and grillin turkey to try. What I want to know is from all you out there that love these products or use them what are your favorite flavors and products are also if you wouldn't mind the grocery store you find it at. I live in upstate NY and we do not have Trader Joes or a Whole Foods. Any help would be appreciated at narrowing down my search. I am also a little intimidated by all the ingredients listed are they really good for you and better than regular protein?

I may have missed a post asking the same question...sorry if I did! Are you in a part of upstate NY that has Wegmans?? If so...shop there and shop their nature's market! Amy's brand is delicious and Gardenburger is also a way to go. Morningstar has the "crap" ingredients. If you do have a Wegs and have never been...I could definitely help you out with it!
  • blink1021
    Options

I may have missed a post asking the same question...sorry if I did! Are you in a part of upstate NY that has Wegmans?? If so...shop there and shop their nature's market! Amy's brand is delicious and Gardenburger is also a way to go. Morningstar has the "crap" ingredients. If you do have a Wegs and have never been...I could definitely help you out with it!

Yes I do have a Wegmans just always avoided it due to how busy it always seems to be didn't realize they had a nature market will have to check it out.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Yes I do have a Wegmans just always avoided it due to how busy it always seems to be didn't realize they had a nature market will have to check it out.

most of them are laid out the same way and nature's market is typically behind or to the direct left or right of produce :-)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I like the spicy black bean burgers a lot. The corn dogs are good, too. If your store carries them, the Gardenburger riblets are yummy and I like Quorn meatballs a lot. I get all of these items at Kroger.