TRACKING KETO

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the keto diet/lifestyle change (started 4 days ago)... just wondering if there are settings for myfitnesspal where I can modify my goals to reflect a keto diet? I understand that my carbs need to be below 20 and I have my protein figured out... I'm having a hard time understanding how many grams of fat I am to be having per day? Also, do calories really matter, how high they are? I've already noticed a difference in the way I look and feel and am excited to keep going... any input/advice would be so appreciated.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You can change the percentage breakdown of your calorie goal to reflect what you want. Fat would make up the rest of your calories if you've worked out protein and carbs. (I'm guessing 20g is net carbs - you'll either need to use or create net carb entries from the database, or just add fibre to your list of nutrients and subtract it from total carbs)

To lose weight calories matter. They matter more than your breakdown of macronutrients. You can eat a keto diet but be in a calorie surplus to gain weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If you go to My Home and then Settings and then Diary Setting, you can change your macro goals. I think.

To be ketogenic, most find they need to keep net or total carbs below 50 g. Very active people can go much higher if the time carbs around exercise. Those with insulin resistance may need to go lower.

Typically, carb macros are 5-10%. Some go higher or lower.

Protein is usually moderate. Usually between 20-30%. Often towards the higher end while losing, then lower at maintenance. For example, a 100g of protein is 400 kcal. That would be 25% of a 1600kcal diet but only 20% of a 2000 kcal diet.

Fat is just the rest. Usually 65-80%, with 70-75% being the most common. This macro tends to get larger at maintenance.

One gram of fat has 9 kcal, so 100g of fat is 900 kcal. Some ketoers match their protein an fat gram for gram.

Join the Low Carber Daily and Keto MFP subgroups for more support.

Consider playing around with a TDEE calculator to help you figure out your macros.
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Good luck!