So running doesn't always equal weightloss

Options
It used to. I could eat 382 pieces of pizza, rub a few, and I was good. Now? Mid-30s....not so much. Anyway, I love to run, eat, paint , eat, read and eat. I also like wine. A lot.

I'm training for my 5th half marathon and would like to lose about 15 pounds along the way. I know it's not a lot, but my love for food runs deep. Like the Marianna trench or Beyonce's love for Jay-z. So let's do this. Day 1 is in the bag!

Any and all tips and tricks appreciated. Question 1) low cal, sugar free delicious wine options? Go!

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    set a 1lb per week goal. log accurately and keep calories below the limit. don't eat back runnung calories because you probably run very efficient so the running calorie estimates would be way too high.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit causes weight loss. Good luck!
  • rupshaw
    rupshaw Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It’s all about the cals and doing what you love! 😃
  • Erinloveable
    Erinloveable Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was like "rub a few?... umm." Hahahah. You may not lose weight as easy but I bet you have a nice butt. I can't even tell where my back ends and my butt begins lol.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Omg I was just dying when I read rub a few LOL, It def helps but it won't make you lose if you aren't tracking calories as well. I track everything :smile:
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Welcome
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You just have to consume fewer calories than you expend...lots of people run and maintain their weight...because they eat maintenance calories. If running in and of itself resulted in weight loss, avid runners would just wither away and die eventually.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    The tough part will be the balance of fueling your body for the marathon training yet eating in a deficit.

So I'd go with a lower deficit and slower weight loss goal.

But that's just me...... good luck!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight running is a major part of it. It gives me more room to eat or drink and may help burn more calories when at rest. I know, I know only deficit is required but this is how I do it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    honestly if i am training for a race (legit training and not half *kitten* it) - i don't focus on losing weight but fueling my body
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    even running CICO is still in effect
    i use running cookbooks to get the nutrition i need and keep an eye on my calories

runners world cookbook is my favorite
  • pandacsek
    pandacsek Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I also decided to train for half marathon - the only difference is that I never ran before and I HATE running. I was already on MFP so I continued tracking my food, I stayed within my 1500-1600 calories and I manage to lose almost 20 lbs during training. I made sure to not eat back the calories though. I was never hungry, 1500 cal seemed to be enough to keep me fueled and still lost weight.

I only started to shed weight towards the last month when I ran 8-9 miles 3x a week. Then it really showed and I was so happy! :) Needless to say, I continued resistance training/weight training during the entire time to make sure I don't lose all my muscle.

AND in the end I never ran that stupid half marathon.

Anyway, I hope my story helps.
  • KingHurlbutt
    KingHurlbutt Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was inspired for a minute there.... I thought, wow rubbing one out helps you lose weight??!!
    Ahahaha I wrote rub...i meant run. Darn phone.

• Beaster_Bunny
    Beaster_Bunny Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I prefer rubbing over running!!!