Just started MFP three weeks ago and now I am pregnant..

Options
Well in three weeks I have dropped 8 pounds and was really doing great with eating 1200 calories and excerising...Me and my husband was trying to get conceive so this isn't a surprise (lol) and now I am probably almost a month now.. Can I still do this and stay in shape? I do not want to gain a whole lot of weight that I will regret later:( I know I can't eat 1200 calories with being pregnant but what can I do to stay under gaining 20 pounds? I am still exercising until the doctor tells me that I can't! Any advice???

Replies

• Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305078-pregnancy-august-2011

and gratz on the pregancy :happy:
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would ask your Dr how many calories you should eat :smile:
  • inittothinit42
    inittothinit42 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    babyfit.com is a good site for that.
  • kimberlyw26
    Options
    Thanks guys!:) I wanna be able to get up off the couch w/o help!! lol
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I suggest contacting your doctor. You need to feed that baby and remain healthy. You can continue your exercises in most cases, but really try hard to not over do it. If you don't get enouh to eat, you can pass out (I have 4 kids...)

Congratulations on the pregnancy and hoping for a healthy and happy one.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i read in a magazine that it is a good idea to eat about 300 more calories if you a pregnant...but you should really talk to your doctor about this, limiting your cals too much on a pregnancy could result in long term complications with your child! <33 congratsssss love, pregnancies are reallly exciting :)
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You're exactly right.....you can keep exercising as long as your doctor says its okay. And you can workout often if you want. You can do as much as you have been doing. BUT, this is not the time to increase your exercise routine. Exercise will make you feel better through pregnancy, plus it will help shed the pounds faster afterwards. With my first, I was teaching exercise classes until I was 7 months pregnant. I continued to walk and be active up until the day I popped.

As far as your diet goes, you should bump your calories back up to maintenance and add another 200-300 calories. That will probably put you around 2000 calories (my guess, but I am not sure of your maintenance level. Mine is 1800). You do not need to eat for two!!!! I think they are saying nowadays that 25-35 pounds is normal (if you start at a healthy weight range), even less than that if you are overweight.
  • kimberlyw26
    Options
    Thanks ladies and I agree I do not want to gain anymore than 25 pounds! I have three daughters that are 15, 14 and 10 so this will be my first child in a decade and I know it will be harder to bounce back now that I am older! lol
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! There are lots of way you can stay fit throughout your pregnancy. One of the trainers at my gym has trained women successfully to term! So you can do it. Definitely talk to your doctors about what types of exercises you can or cannot do...over all else, be safe - you and baby. :)

So excited for you!!!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Swim, swim, swim . . . so good for you anytime but especially through pregnancy!!!! Easier on your back and helps circulation and makes you feel lighter and is refreshing and well . . . the perfect exercise!!!
  • kimberlyw26
    Options
    Great advice!!:)