How many Calories to burn a week

BethanyLynnFitness
BethanyLynnFitness Posts: 61 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys, found this article and want to get you guys opinion on it.

Determining a Calorie Deficit for Weight Loss

A pound of fat equals 3,500 calories, which means, to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week, you need to burn off 500 to 1,000 calories more per day than you consume -- or between 3,500 and 7,000 calories per week. Losing weight fast isn't recommended by most major health organizations -- it's usually unsustainable and can lead to nutrient deficiencies, muscle loss and a stalled metabolism.

I basically burn about 3,000 calories a day, would that basically mean that I should lose about 1-2lbs a week if I’m in a calorie decrease?? My calories are about 1400 for me to lose weight. Please give me your opinion on this would love to hear what you have to say. Also burn around 300-500 calories 5 days a week weightlifting with some cardio in it.

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member

A pound of fat equals 3,500 calories, which means, to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week, you need to burn off 500 to 1,000 calories more per day than you consume -- or between 3,500 and 7,000 calories per week. Losing weight fast isn't recommended by most major health organizations -- it's usually unsustainable and can lead to nutrient deficiencies, muscle loss and a stalled metabolism.

I basically burn about 3,000 calories a day, would that basically mean that I should lose about 1-2lbs a week if I’m in a calorie decrease?? My calories are about 1400 for me to lose weight. Please give me your opinion on this would love to hear what you have to say. Also burn around 300-500 calories 5 days a week weightlifting with some cardio in it.

If I am understanding your logic and math here...

You burn 3,000 calories a day
    You consume 1,400 calories a day
    You therefore are at a 1,600 calorie deficit per day
    1,600 calories/day X 7 days/week = 11,200 calorie deficit/week
    11,200 calorie deficit/week / 3,500 calories/pound = 3.2 pound weight loss/week

• BethanyLynnFitness
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you burn 3000 calories per day, that would be your TDEE...so you would lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2500 or 2 Lbs per week eating 2,000.

If you burn 3000 calories per day and are only eating 1400, you are way under feeding.

I don’t usually stay at 1400 calorie burn that’s what I got from this website that gave those numbers to me. I usually eat around 1500-1600 calories.
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    farsteve wrote: »

Yes, I got that number from a website that have me 1400 calories and I usually eat around 1500-1600 calories a day.
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    Kim_S_G wrote: »

A pound of fat equals 3,500 calories, which means, to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week, you need to burn off 500 to 1,000 calories more per day than you consume -- or between 3,500 and 7,000 calories per week.

I think people who are trying to lose weight need to understand this. Sure, there may be some who just follow a meal plan and lose weight without ever really understanding, but a lack of understanding will probably have them gaining weight again once their goal weight is reached.
    Losing weight fast isn't recommended by most major health organizations -- it's usually unsustainable and can lead to nutrient deficiencies, muscle loss ,,,

Losing weight fast is not recommended by the CDC - as far as other health organizations, I do not know. From what I have read, I think the last part of the quote is based on scientific studies - so I agree with this.
    a stalled metabolism.

Not sure exactly what is meant by this. I know that what most people think of as "starvation mode" is not true. Someone who knows more than me should address this.

If you burn more calories than you take in, then you will lose weight.

I am no expert, but I question that you are burning 3,000 calories per day. I do not have a Fitbit or use machines in the gym, but most people on this forum who do, state that the calorie burn given by those is overestimated.

How did you obtain the calorie goal of 1400? If you truly are burning 3,000 calories a day, you need to be eating more than 1400.

From the looks of your picture it does not seem that you have a lot of weight to lose. If you give your stats (weight, height etc) then you can get a recommendation for an appropriate weight loss rate - someone other than me should probably do that.

From a quick look at your food diary, you do not seem to be weighing your food using a food scale. I think you should do that to be more accurate.

Read this:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

A pound of fat equals 3,500 calories, which means, to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week, you need to burn off 500 to 1,000 calories more per day than you consume -- or between 3,500 and 7,000 calories per week.

I think people who are trying to lose weight need to understand this. Sure, there may be some who just follow a meal plan and lose weight without ever really understanding, but a lack of understanding will probably have them gaining weight again once their goal weight is reached.
    Losing weight fast isn't recommended by most major health organizations -- it's usually unsustainable and can lead to nutrient deficiencies, muscle loss ,,,

Losing weight fast is not recommended by the CDC - as far as other health organizations, I do not know. From what I have read, I think the last part of the quote is based on scientific studies - so I agree with this.
    a stalled metabolism.

Not sure exactly what is meant by this. I know that what most people think of as "starvation mode" is not true. Someone who knows more than me should address this.

I am no expert, but I question that you are burning 3,000 calories per day. I do not have a Fitbit or use machines in the gym, but most people on this forum who do, state that the calorie burn given by those is overestimated.

How did you obtain the calorie goal of 1400? If you truly are burning 3,000 calories a day, you need to be eating more than 1400.

From the looks of your picture it does not seem that you have a lot of weight to lose. If you give your stats (weight, height etc) then you can get a recommendation for an appropriate weight loss rate - someone other than me should probably do that.

From a quick look at your food diary, you do not seem to be weighing your food using a food scale. I think you should do that to be more accurate.

Read this:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

I got that number from a website I was looking at to see how many need to eat to lose weight and that’s the number I got. I usually eat around 1500-1600 calorie and day maybe more. I do have a food scale and I use it religiously. So everything is tracked on there. Also I use a HR for my calorie burns and I work at a very active job so I burn a lot of Calories that way.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

I got that number from a website I was looking at to see how many need to eat to lose weight and that’s the number I got. I usually eat around 1500-1600 calorie and day maybe more. I do have a food scale and I use it religiously. So everything is tracked on there. Also I use a HR for my calorie burns and I work at a very active job so I burn a lot of Calories that way.

Is there a reason why you are not using the calorie goal given to you by MyFitnessPal?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

If you burn 3000 calories per day, that would be your TDEE...so you would lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2500 or 2 Lbs per week eating 2,000.

If you burn 3000 calories per day and are only eating 1400, you are way under feeding.

I don’t usually stay at 1400 calorie burn that’s what I got from this website that gave those numbers to me. I usually eat around 1500-1600 calories.

If you normally eat 1500 and are burning 3000 cals then you should be losing weight easily?
  • BethanyLynnFitness

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

Is there a reason why you are not using the calorie goal given to you by MyFitnessPal?

I do use what mfp gives me and it’s around 1600 I believe
  • BethanyLynnFitness

If you normally eat 1500 and are burning 3000 cals then you should be losing weight easily?

I’ve been losing weight I was just curious to see other ppls opinions on this.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

a stalled metabolism.

Read this:

From your food diary from last two days:

Powdered peanut butter: 1 tablespoon (no weight given)
    Chia seeds: 1 tbsp (no weight given)
    Dark chocolate hemp seed : 1 tbsp (no weight given)
    Turkey bowl: 1 bowl (no weight given)
    Avocado Ranch: 1.5 cups (no weight given)
    Cucumber : 1 cup (no weight given)
    Caramels; 3 pieces (no weight given)
    Multi grain bread: 2 slices (no weight given)
    Italian dressing: 2 tbsp (no weight given)
    Hazelnut spread: 1 tbsp (no weight given)
    Rice cake : 2 cakes (no weight given)
    Chicken Casserole Bowl: 1 bowl (no weight given)
    Grapes: 1 cup (no weight given)
    Olives: 1 container (no weight given)

Everything you see on my diary is weighed. Just because it doesn’t actually show a weight doesn’t mean I’m not tracking it. A tablespoon is a tablespoon, I use a tablespoon to measure what I eat with those products. Also rice cakes are always 1 rice cake and all rice cakes are the same weight and I don’t see why you need to weigh those when it shows one rice cake is a serving. Just my thought.

If not weighing every food item is working for you, that's fine. But, if you aren't losing weight as expected you may need to tighten up on logging....as in digital food scale (for everything except liquids). Packaged foods don't have to be the exact weights as stated as long as they are within a specified range.

Food intake calories are actually easier to "get right" than exercise calories are.

I have fitness goals, not calorie burning goals. Calorie burning goals mean that lower calorie burn activities (ie: strength training) don't get the prominence they deserve.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I’ve been losing weight I was just curious to see other ppls opinions on this.

Then my question would be, is that large a deficit appropriate? What are your stats?