Low Carbers...

Options
How do you keep your sodium levels down? I am new to this so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    well chicken breast, whey, olive oil, coconut and coconut oil, fresh almonds.... cant say that I have a sodium probelm :O
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am usually below 2000 mg.... take a look at my food diary. I am following the Dukan Diet, but pretty much it is a lot of lean protein and non fat dairy...and veggies every other day at this point.,
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I find the more processed, the more sodium it has. I also choose low or no salt items if I can i.e. chicken stock. HTH.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    No processed or fast food. Anything "Canned or bottled", make sure it say's no salt or low salt. Stay away from sauces and gravys. Don't add salt to foods and drink lots of water. Sucks but that's the only way. Every thing these days has so much salt in it you have to go drastic just to break even.
  • chironess
    Options
    VINEGAR adds so much flavor. Flavored vinegars add variety.
  • bubbab666
    Options
    No processed or fast food. Anything "Canned or bottled", make sure it say's no salt or low salt. Stay away from sauces and gravys. Don't add salt to foods and drink lots of water. Sucks but that's the only way. Every thing these days has so much salt in it you have to go drastic just to break even.

Ditto.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Agree with this. Eat a lot of veggies and fruit. Lean proteins, nuts. But, if you do low carb, make sure you have one high carb day a week to shock your body.
  • RedSoxBeauty
    RedSoxBeauty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips! Do you all have a high carb day a week?
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have any high carb days.. I try to stay below 70g of carbs/day. Once I reach my goal weight, I will up it to 90-100g per day.
  • chironess
    Options
    When I plateau, I eat whatever just try to keep it reasonable. Always have my carbs with tons of fiber and a little fat so as not to kick off a binge. So I do that for a few days then kick the low carb back in. It does seem to get your weight loss going and as a matter of fact it is what many weightlifters do. I think it is called the abcde diet or something like that!!