Food & Fitness Tracking Devices-How many do you use?

Options
I'm feeling overwhelmed. I have been on Weight Watchers fo some time and use their app. I also have a Fitbit Ionic that I use for my exercise and it syncs steps to my ww app but not other exercise. My trainer said to use my fitness pal to track my food for the macro breakdown etc as it's all in one place. Fitbit does this too. None of them sync the food so I find myself logging food and other exercise multiple times which is way too time consuming.

Which app or apps do you all use and why? Pro's..cons...?

Replies

• hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You can connect FitBit and MFP apps, so your exercises will sync to MFP and your food you log here will sync to FitBit :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I just use this site. Used it exclusively for weight loss and now 11 years into maintenance.

At one point I had a Polar HRM, but I don't use any other devices now. Keeping it simple. Log food, log exercise, weigh my food on a food scale, weigh myself once a week. It works fine, five minutes a day.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I only use mfp, it's easy for me to estimate how many calories I need to consume for me to hit my goal weight. I've been bulking and cutting for 5 years. The numbers don't change dramatically.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Food syncs from MFP to Fitbit but not the other way, and your total calories burned including exercise syncs from Fitbit to MFP (you can log exercise on MFP but most prefer to have Fitbit take care of that side altogether). I used the two together for four years and switched to an Apple Watch last December.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just link your Fitbit to MFP...log food in MFP and let your Fitbit sync your activity.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Agree with others that have suggested/mentioned about connecting the two apps together.

I have a Garmin Vivoactive and it's connected to MFP. So, I essentially log all my food in MFP and let my Garmin automatically sync over any exercise I'm completed daily. It hasn't given me any issues as of yet.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use MFP and MapMyHike. They are synced.

Knowing calories in and calories out is all that is required for weight loss, so a program like Weight Watchers is not necessary. The two apps I use give me all the necessary information without complicating things.

I have just recently started looking at my protein. MFP allows me to adjust my macro goals and track them easily.

I also like MFP because I think the bar code scanner is just plain cool.

When I first started trying to lose weight and started walking for exercise, I was living in a very hilly region and used MapMyHike as it took into account the elevation change. Now, most of my walking is done on flat ground, but I still use the same app - just change activity from "hike" to "walk".

• rego1203
    rego1203 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just ditched the weight watchers app.. going to keep the mfp!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have an apple watch and a forerunner 935, and use mfp and strava.
  • rego1203
    rego1203 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I canceled the ww app and I'm going to focus on using mfp gor my food tracking and let Fitbit sync my activity to mfp...THANKS for everyone input!
  • aWildFlowere
    aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    MFP as I have enough apps in my life without adding another. Thinking about a fitbit though...sounds like MFP needs a partnership or complete connectivity for data sharing though. Ugh...I want simple solutions vs adding complications to my life. MFP sucks as a weight lifting tracker esp as it doesn't even calculate a minimum calorie burn. I also have input a lot of lifts into the system...it is missing so many! I could spend a whole day entering my weekly lifting routine & rotations plus and that doesn't even include estimated calorie burn rates. Anyone have a good solution for these things?