Tips for cooking ahead of time in bulk?

Options
melizerd
melizerd Posts: 870 Member
Anyone have some good recipes that work well for making a bunch of things ahead of time and freezing them? Any easy cook books with good healthy recipes in it?

I do this with my chili, I make it either with 4-5lbs of ground turkey or just vegetarian depending on how I'm feeling, and then pop it into pyrex containers in the size we need for our family of 3. That way when I'm super busy or late coming home there's no excuse and something is easy to pull out of freezer.

I need more ideas that work like that. I've asked many of my other friends and I get these monstrous casserole things that aren't really what I like to eat anymore. So hit me with ideas! We don't eat a lot of red meat but I'd be okay with it sometimes, and I'm really looking for some veggie options to reduce our meat intake too.

Replies

• SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti sauce is a good one to do that with. All you have to do is boil the noodles (and if you use angel hair pasta, that takes practically no time at all)

Lasagna is also do-able in that manner - noodles and all. I know Betty Crocker has a really good make ahead cookbook with great ideas/recipes in it.

I'll keep thinking and let you know. I'm about to do this myself.

(Ooh! Shredded chicken and/or shredded pork - just crock-pot it all day in basic seasonings like garlic and onions and pull it out, shred, and separate into portion sizes and add to tacos, soups, casseroles, etc...)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    "Create Your Own Frozen Dinners":
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=762

"Freezer Recipes":
    http://www.recipelink.com/rcpmenus.html

You should be able to find more online.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Leanne at SavingDinner.com has a lot of cook-ahead freezer meal cookbooks and such.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    "Create Your Own Frozen Dinners":
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=762

"Freezer Recipes":
    http://www.recipelink.com/rcpmenus.html

You should be able to find more online.

These are great, thanks! I'm not even the OP but i appreciate them haha.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Nice websites!

I think I'm in a food slump right now so getting some new ideas is always a good thing!
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've found that I can do quite a few things with leftover chicken and rice.... from fried rice with chicken ( add veggies/splash of soy sauce as you've got em and 1 beaten egg) to a rice based chicken and broccoli pot pie (a can of condensed soup and home made pastry crust).

I did the home made pastry crust this weekend... My favorite brand is Jiffy, because I can't get it wrong.(I've tried!)

If you use a crock pot, make sure to use the liner! seriously awesome invention there..
  • nels0071
    nels0071 Posts: 19
    Options
    You can use low sodium or low fat for any of these recipes. They freeze great too. A family favorite here is the Chicken Chow Mein.

Chicken Chow Mein Hot Dish

½ c chopped onion
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    ¼ c butter
    1 can Cream of mushroom soup
    1 can water chestnuts, chopped (optional)
    ½ c chicken broth
    Dash pepper
    2 T soy sauce
    3 cups cooked, cubed chicken
    ½ c sliced fresh mushrooms

Top with before baking:
    1 3 oz. can chow mein noodles
    5 T salted cashew halves

In a saucepan, cook onions and celery in butter until tender. Stir in soup, chicken broth, soy sauce, pepper and water chestnuts (if using). Add chicken and mushrooms; cook until hot.

Pour into a greased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles and cashews.

Bake uncovered until bubbly hot -- 350 for 25-30 minutes

Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts for Freezing - OAMC
    • 6-12 chicken breasts (use as many as you want)
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    Place the chicken breasts in the crock pot, Mix water and spices together and pour over the chicken.
    Cook on the low setting for 8-10 hours.
    Remove chicken breasts, shred or pull the meat from bones, removing skin (it should all fall off easily at this point anyway!).
    Place meat in individual freezer bags or containers and freeze until needed for recipes.
    Defrost and add to any recipes that call for cooked chicken.
    Great for casseroles, quesadillas, pizzas, burritos, pastas, soups, etc. or heat with BBQ sauce for hot barbecue chicken sandwiches.

Enchilada stuffed Shells

15 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
    1 pound lean ground turkey,or beef
    1 can (10oz) Enchilada sauce
    1/2 tsp dried minced onion
    1/4 tsp dried basil
    1/4 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 cup fat-free refried beans
    1 cup (4oz) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

1. cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water.
    In a nonstick skillet, cook beef (or turkey) on med head until no longer pink: drain.. Stir in enchilada sacue and seasonings, Set aside..
    2. Place a rounded tsp full of refried beans in each pasta shell, then fill with meat mixture. Place in an 11in x 7 in x 2 in baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Honey Pork Chops
    6 boneless pork chops
    1/2 C honey
    1/4 C cider vinegar
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 Tbsp soy sauce
    Dash of pepper
    Cooking day instructions: Place all ingredients (except pork chops) in a blender and mix thoroughly. Place mixture and pork chops in a freezer bag. Squeeze out excess air and freeze.
    Serving day instructions: Thaw completely. Place pork chops and mixture in greased baking dish. Bake @ 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning chops occasionally while baking. (Chops may also be grilled)
    Hint for using freezer bags: Lay the full freezer bag in a cake pan and place in freezer. Once the bag is frozen, you remove the pan - this helps freeze the meal flat and also ensures that any leaks will be kept within the pan.

Chicken Quesadillas Freezer Recipe
    These freeze well for quick snacks or even for appys for unexpected guests.
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 green pepper, diced
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    8 flour tortillas
    2 cups Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, grated
    In large skillet, cook chicken with garlic powder and pepper until throroughly cooked. Remove from skillet and set aside. Next, simmer tomatoes, green peppers, onion and garlic, continuing to simmer until liquid is evaporated. Remove from skillet and set aside.
    Using a small amount of olive oil, fry each side of tortillas in skillet, then place on a cookie sheet. Top four tortillas with 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 of the chicken mixture, 1/4 of the tomato mixture, topping with 1/4 cup of cheese and second tortilla. Press gently and place in ziploc freezer bag or wrap for the freezer.
    On cooking day: Preheat oven to 375F. Do not thaw! Simply place the quesadillas on the cookie sheet straight from the freezer, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is fully melted. Cut into wedges (pizza cutter works best) and serve with salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream.

ORIENTAL CHICKEN TOPPING
    Ingredients
    • 4 large potato(es), Idaho, baked
    • 1 tablespoon oil, vegetable
    • 2 small chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
    • 1 small onion(s), red, sliced
    • 1/2 cup(s) pepper(s), red, bell, cut into strips
    • 1/2 cup(s) carrot(s), thinly sliced
    • 1 cup(s) snow pea pods, halved diagonally
    • 1 cup(s) broth, chicken
    • 2 teaspoon ginger, fresh, grated
    • 2 teaspoon cornstarch
    • 2 tablespoon soy sauce, reduced-sodium
    Preparation
    In large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add chicken; cook, stirring until browned and cooked through, about 6 to 7 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove chicken from skillet, set aside. Add onion, red pepper and carrots. Cook until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in snow peas, chicken broth and ginger. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Return cooked chicken to skillet. In small bowl, combine cornstarch with soy sauce. Add to skillet; stir. Bring to boil; cook until thickened.

Hope some of these sound good and work for you!
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    Another site is onceamonthmom.com

I do portioned meat and veggies in bags and freeze them, so that on nights when I am dead tired, I pull out a bag, cook a serving of pasta and some sauce and have a meal in under 20 minutes. A couple of my favorites:

Chicken Lo Mein:
    3 oz cooked chicken, diced *cook yourself in advanced or buy precooked*
    6 oz (half a bag) of california veggie mix
    2 oz ronzoni smart taste spaghetti
    3 tbls teriyaki sauce (i used la choy brand)
    356 Calories

3 oz cooked chicken, diced *cook yourself in advanced or buy precooked*
    6 oz (half a bag) of california veggie mix
    2 oz ronzoni smart taste pasta (whatever you like or have)
    3/8 cup (6 tbls) light alfredo sauce (ragu)
    423 Calories

Both have same instructions
    Put frozen meat and veggies in a small nonstick skillet, cover on medium heat. Cook pasta according to package directions (no salt). When pasta has a minute left add sauce to veggies and about a half cup pasta water until it makes a sauce. Drain pasta and add to veggie mix.

I also do the lo mein recipe with brown rice instead of pasta and have chicken fried rice in less time than take out.
  • silver02bullet
    silver02bullet Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • Sho_Rowell
    Sho_Rowell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • MaryWeigel
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou: