Diet Pop..zero calories, but does it hurt weight loss

Options

Replies

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    This article:

Switching to personal anecdotal information, I do know people who seem to think that drinking a diet soda means they can have an extra slice of pizza or whatever. That's bad math.
    Well, it's bad math if they think that just by drinking a diet soda, it's going to magically create more of a deficit. The diet soda won't ADD to your daily calories but it won't burn calories, either.

However, if they were going to drink a regular soda and decided to drink a diet soda instead, it would free up those calories for something else.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I feel that if I drink diet coke I get into a mindset of "I should not be drinking this rubbish" and then start eating lots of snacks next to it, just because. I don't think diet coke is unhealthy as such, but honestly, I don't really like it. One just gets used to it I guess. I do like carbonated drinks after a whole day of hiking. But that doesn't happen too often. I guess the only big downside of carbonated drinks is the damage it does to your teeth (it's an acid after all).
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hpurtee1hp wrote: »
    So i know the goal is to stay within a certain number of calories, and diet pop is 0 calories.. however, has anyone had better success with eliminating pop completely? I mean obviously I know that it's best to not drink any pop at all, but with it being 0 calories, does it affect this program much??. What do u all think?

I like Diet Mt. Dew and drink more than one every day. Have lost 34 lbs since May 10th. So, I don't think they have any detrimental effect on weight loss at all, unless there's some sort of indirect effect for a particular person where it might make them crave (and then consume) something that actually does have significant calories.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    0 calorie is a teensy bit of a lie. What it actually means is very, very low calorie, generally under 20 calories at the most. If you drink or eat lots and lots of 0 calorie items, it can add up so you still have to take care.

That said, I drink a can or two of diet root beer on pretty much a daily basis and have no problems. I find it's better than only drinking water because I will eat something sweet with more calories than the diet root beer to satisfy my sweet tooth.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    0 calorie is a teensy bit of a lie. What it actually means is very, very low calorie, generally under 20 calories at the most. If you drink or eat lots and lots of 0 calorie items, it can add up so you still have to take care.

That said, I drink a can or two of diet root beer on pretty much a daily basis and have no problems. I find it's better than only drinking water because I will eat something sweet with more calories than the diet root beer to satisfy my sweet tooth.

In the US, any food item that has less than 5 calories per serving can be labeled as a zero-calorie item. If the serving size has more than 5 calories, the actual value must be listed.

Ah thank you. My search fu is weak and I didn't have much luck finding any specific guidelines, only general discussion of 0 calorie foods. My point is that this could explain that one friend people talk about who quit drinking a case of diet coke a day and lost weight as a result.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight while drinking diet soda and I've lost weight during long periods where I refrain from diet soda. I never noticed any difference to my weight loss, health, or general feeling between the two. What I have found is that for me personally a diet soda as part of my afternoon snack reduces my munchies and staves off my usual 3pm headache/listlessness combo. For me that's worth it. But we're all adults here so make whatever choices you want.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    This article:

Switching to personal anecdotal information, I do know people who seem to think that drinking a diet soda means they can have an extra slice of pizza or whatever. That's bad math.
    Well, it's bad math if they think that just by drinking a diet soda, it's going to magically create more of a deficit. The diet soda won't ADD to your daily calories but it won't burn calories, either.

However, if they were going to drink a regular soda and decided to drink a diet soda instead, it would free up those calories for something else.

Yes, but a soft drink with sugar is probably in the 150 calorie range, so replacing it with a sugar free alternative doesn't free up enough calories to eat an extra slice of pizza that's 300-500+ calories (depending on size and toppings). That's the bad math I am talking about.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I use diet lemonade more than coke for long drinks in the sunny weather. Neither has had a negative effect on my weightloss - when I do have an alcoholic drink I am not adding lots of calories with my mixer; that's a good thing to me.