Need ideas for what to eat (and when) before a heavy workout.

Options
Since I am off for the summer (I am a teacher!), I am doing my workouts in the morning. I do a 45 minute cardio/strength training class. I know I need to eat beforehand, but I get nauseous if I eat too much too close to the workout. I'm looking for suggestions on whaat to eat, and when, before my workouts.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like early morning workouts and I found I could do the full thing with no more than a full glass of water. I’d eat afterward.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat beforehand. A lot of people feel more focused on an empty stomach. Perhaps just have some coffee or an energy drink. If you do eat. Make it very light and at least an hour beforehand. Working out on a full stomach is generally not recommended.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT workouts or circuits early in the morning, food makes me feel sluggish or I get a pain in my side. A good mug of coffee and 1 or 2 small Haribo sweets gives me a boost. Works for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You only need to eat beforehand if you find it helps you feel better.

I never eat before exercise unless I wake up particularly hungry or the exercise is going to last more than two hours.