Do vitamins make a difference?

Options
Hrussian
Hrussian Posts: 22 Member
I recently went into the doctor because I just wasn’t feel long very well. I have been tired, no energy to workout, headaches, and the lost goes one. They did a physical with labs and everything was normal besides vitamin B & D were on the low side. I started taking a multi vitamin, D supplement and omegas. Maybe I’m crazy but it’s been about 4 weeks and I feel soooooo much better. I also upped my calories from 1300 a day to 1900.

Anyone else notice a difference in how they feel when taking vitamins?

Replies

• beachgirl1130
    beachgirl1130 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes I felt like crap when I wasn't taking vitamins. I'm always low on the vit D especially in the winter months. I also make sure I take a protein shake after a hard workout for muscle recovery.
  • Hrussian
    Options
    The increase in calories probably helped as well
    I think that probably helped the most!!!
  • Hrussian
    Options
    Yes I felt like crap when I wasn't taking vitamins. I'm always low on the vit D especially in the winter months. I also make sure I take a protein shake after a hard workout for muscle recovery.
    Glad to know they have helped someone else! I may be imagining this but I totally feel like I’m happier and less stressed.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    those are some of the most important vitamins to have adequate levels for optimal feeling of wellness.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Vit d for sure. I’ve never taken B but many people benefit from it. Eating more helps you. 1300 isn’t much. Glad you’re feeling better
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Vitamin deficiencies can make you really sick. But you mentioned B vitamins being low: if this includes B12, and you're not vegetarian you should not be taking supplements with B12 as it's likely you can't absorb them from food, and hence not tablets either. They will raise your blood levels but do nothing for your deficiency. Result? Doctor thinks you're cured while you do get sicker and sicker. B12 deficiency leads to nerve damage if left untreated. All your body is run by nerves.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    Food sources are better than vitamins (when possible), but vitamin supplements are better than deficiencies!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel a difference when taking my vitamin D! I’ve tried different doses and compared it with how I feel and my lab results. I’ve found my dosage needs to be much higher than the general recommendation to get my blood levels up and feel my best. My doctor is happy with my levels and I feel like I have plenty of energy!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have had low D before diagnosed, so I take a supplement. I'm not sure how important it is here in the summer, we aren't too far north. But in the winter definitely. Ready a bit from a study today that said that women with insufficient vitamin D had more belly fat than those who had enough, so that cheap little pill is worth it I think.

I take a multi as well, I'm breastfeeding and I would rather take it than not. It's the only expensive supplement I take.

I also take fish oil, because a lot of body building and muscle oriented websites say it is important for inflammation. Again, not super pricey for a big bottle and I don't think it will hurt.