I’m going to slip up...

Options
KV621
KV621 Posts: 20 Member
My Husband works a hitch 2 weeks on two weeks off. These two weeks he has been gone I’ve been eating less, and cut out a lot of sweet stuff. I feel like I’m doing good keeping active. I’m afraid he is going to come home and it’s all just going to go out the window. He is a sweets, and a microwave freak. My husband binges in food. He doesn’t need to lose weight but I do. I’m also afraid I’ll fall back into being more sedentary. I don’t like to work out in front of people. He loves me the way I am and the way I look is fine he says, but I’m not loving this baby weight! It has to go for my sanity! Any advice!????

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    KV621 wrote: »
    My Husband works a hitch 2 weeks on two weeks off. These two weeks he has been gone I’ve been eating less, and cut out a lot of sweet stuff. I feel like I’m doing good keeping active. I’m afraid he is going to come home and it’s all just going to go out the window. He is a sweets, and a microwave freak. My husband binges in food. He doesn’t need to lose weight but I do. I’m also afraid I’ll fall back into being more sedentary. I don’t like to work out in front of people. He loves me the way I am and the way I look is fine he says, but I’m not loving this baby weight! It has to go for my sanity! Any advice!????

Keep tracking your food. Log the food before you eat it.
    Have lower calorie snacks you really like in the house for you.
    You don't have to eat what or whenever someone else eats. You have a choice about what you put in your body.
    Unless everyone in your home is glued together 24/7 you could probably do 10-30 minute workouts alone. Or go walking alone or as a family.
    If you keep doing something your spouse will get used to it.

You do not need to be perfect every day. If you choose to eat more then do not be dramatic or feel doomed. Log as best you can and move on.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    KV621 wrote: »

So, whatever it is that you are doing now....keep on doing when hubby is home. Talk to him and tell him how you feel and how awesome you feel doing this stuff. Should not be a problem.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My advice would be to treat the two weeks that he is home as practice for life once you hit your goal. It sounds like you can kind of isolate yourself a bit while he's gone, which makes it easy to eat and work out exactly how you want to. At a certain point, you'll hit your goal and will want to be able to go out, see people, etc. while maintaining your weight. To do that you'll have to build the skills you need to control your food and still work out when others are around. Might as well take advantage of the opportunity to do that now.

The other option is to diet harder the two weeks he is gone and then up your calories, possibly even going to maintenance, while he is home. (I wouldn't stop the working out.) There was a recent study showing that short term dieting cycles work well. I think the study may have been 3 weeks of dieting, one off week, but when compared to people who dieted during the entire study, fat loss was fairly equivalent.
  • KV621
    KV621 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My advice would be to treat the two weeks that he is home as practice for life once you hit your goal. It sounds like you can kind of isolate yourself a bit while he's gone, which makes it easy to eat and work out exactly how you want to. At a certain point, you'll hit your goal and will want to be able to go out, see people, etc. while maintaining your weight. To do that you'll have to build the skills you need to control your food and still work out when others are around. Might as well take advantage of the opportunity to do that now.

The other option is to diet harder the two weeks he is gone and then up your calories, possibly even going to maintenance, while he is home. (I wouldn't stop the working out.) There was a recent study showing that short term dieting cycles work well. I think the study may have been 3 weeks of dieting, one off week, but when compared to people who dieted during the entire study, fat loss was fairly equivalent.

Thanks so much I loved this!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Not to sound too harsh but quit looking at the negative and start looking for ways to make things work for you. I have a husband who doesn’t need to lose weight and 2 girls. When I started trying to lose weight he didn’t change anything though he said he wanted to eat better. He didn’t start actually doing better until 6 months later. In the meantime, what I did to survive was to find 100 calorie snacks, and create a “snack box” - pretzels, crackers, etc. and got a dorm fridge. In the dorm fridge, I put light string cheese, hard boiled eggs, bottled water, greek yogurt, sugar free jello, etc. That way - whenever I wanted a snack, I had a safe zone to get one. I didn’t have to look at all the crap he liked to eat.

I also got Nectar pouches - whey isolate protein drink mixes. I use that and a scoop of clear mixing super fiber from GNC (green container). It’s 120 calories, 23 G protein and 11g fiber. I like the Roadside lemonade, twisted cherry, and grape.

I also have Premier Protein chocolate shakes - about 160 calories, and 30 G protein.

THen there’s the chocolite bars and crispy caramel thingies from www.healthsmartfoods.com. Chocolite bars have about 10g protein&fiber, the caramel things have about 11 g fiber. They’re both about 100 calories.

Key is to get in protein and fiber. That’s helped me most.

• Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My husband says the same things, and I'm down almost 20 lbs.

This is about you, not him. In one month do you want to be 10lb lighter or do you want to be where you are now?
  • 14apfigley641
    14apfigley641 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. My boyfriend does 28 days on and 28 days off the riverboat. When he is gone I eat great. I cook enough for single portions and don’t eat out. When he is home I cook a lot and we eat out often. It’s harder but I know the problem is with me and not him.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Do as you do not as they do....your personal issue does not rest on your significant other. Remember that!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Assess why you allow that negative energy unless you are just not ready to do what's best for you!