Fitbit Users vs Apple Watch vs Nothing - Weight Loss

Options
d090882
d090882 Posts: 148 Member
Attention: Fitbit users vs Apple watch vs Nothing. Please share your experiences. Does activity tracker help to lose weight?

Replies

• walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do not have an activity tracker. I used to have a beautiful activity track called Bellabeat (it was a clip-on) but I eventually dropped it in the toilet. Ever since, I couldn't come to terms with spending that amount of money on another fitness tracker.

The activity tracker is a nice motivational tool but for me it wasn't a long term weight loss solution.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It helps some, it doesn't help others. I lost 60+ pounds in fifteen months with the help of my Fitbit. It helped me see how active I was and made sure I was burning enough calories to sustain a deficit. I have since switched to Apple and when I get back into weight loss mode I'll do the same thing.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have an app (MapMyHike/Walk) on my phone that tracks my walks that I take - my dedicated exercise, not just walking throughout the day. It most definitely helps me keep track of how far I have walked and thus how many calories I have burned.

Since I am sedentary during the summer and 51, MFP has me at 1400 calories to lose a pound per week. I often get hungry on that little amount of food. If I had to stick to that, I think I would give up. But the extra calories earned walking allows me to eat more, and be content. Without my app I would not have a clear idea of those extra calories.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a cheapo just a few weeks ago to see if I’d use it. I’m loving it but it doesn’t do enough for my liking (being a cheapo) so I’m going to purchase the Apple Watch very soon I think. I do find even the cheapo to be helpful.
  • stormlover23464
    stormlover23464 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit (several of them) over a period of years...I found them to be somewhat motivating, but they kept wearing out after a year or so....Recently, I decided to spring for the apple watch..I wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much, but now I'm glad I did... :)
  • d090882
    d090882 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Is Apple watch better than fitbit?
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    d090882 wrote: »
    Is Apple watch better than fitbit?

it's a better smart watch. As a fitness tracker, it's about the same/maybe slightly worse. Right now I have an apple watch and a garmin, both of which I like (for different reasons).
  • longbranch92
    longbranch92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch, which I love. But I share activity on my watch with several people which really motivates me to keep moving.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I think it depends more on the person than the device.

I’ve always been a tech/gizmo geek. I had one of the original Garmin Forerunners, gradually moved up to currently using an Apple Watch. Data crunching keeps me on track and too busy to eat. ;)

But that’s just me.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Fitbit has better social aspects if you have pals to add. AW is a more durable piece of equipment and isn't only a fitness tracker, hence the price difference. I like my AW, but any device you will only use if you enjoy the tracking and the seeing data.