Keeping up with fitness on a road trip

Options
We're going to be taking a very long road trip: 9-12 hours driving Thursday and the same again Firday, then 4 days visiting with family before we do another 12+ hour car trip to see other family for a week (and then 12 hours back home - it's a big loop.)

I have some ideas for how to avoid dietary pitfalls on the road and with family, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get some activity in during the car trips, and during the 4 days we're with my ILs when I will have limited time (and no space) to work out.

Keep in mind that we have five small children, including a 1 year old, so dropping in at a random gym probably won't work out very well. I wish, that would be awesome! :smile:

I'm thinking running laps at a rest area, push ups, etc... I welcome ideas!

Replies

• maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like your idea of doing laps around the rest area. Walking is always good; you can do it just about anywhere. Do your in-laws have dogs? If so, you could offer to take their pooch for a walk.

Try googling "exercises to do in the car"...there are lots of suggestions.
  • leopardvice
    Options
    are you staying at a hotel in between days... maybe theyll have a gym or at least a treadmill. running at rest stops sounds good too. when i moved from virginia to california we drove in less than a week and i was really worried i was going to gain weight from just sitting all those days. but i actually ended up losing because i wasnt snacking. just make sure you drink lots of water, no sodas or sugary coffees. and if you stop at fast food places for a quick meal just get a salad. sorry i dont have more exercise advice for you.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    A jumprope and exercise bands. They are lightweight and travel well, and you can do a lot with them.