Silly subject but water motivation?

Options
Short story is that I’m ten years out of bypass surgery and have gained all the weight back. I am changing my lifestyle and have never been more committed but I can’t seem to get in any water in. I just have absolutely no motivation inside me. Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps a silly mantra or interesting tip to help me with this shortcoming? Thanks and I’m so glad I found this place!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would take anouther approach.
    You have many commitments. Water intake should be quite low on your priority list.
    You don't have any particular motivation to drink water. You drink water because you're thirsty.
    Why don't you drink water? Are you not thirsty? Do you drink other liquids? Do you get in enough fluids? Are you dehydrated? Is your urine dark?

If you want to up your water intake, decide when and how much water you want to drink, couple it with other behaviors, or set an alarm.
  • jenjambon
    jenjambon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tend to chose other things over water, coffee mainly. My protein shakes also satisfy my thirst somewhat. I would say I drink less than most but it’s not a choice I think I have just always been that way, never really thirsty I mean. I like your alarm idea. I have already set three for tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • vinovinovino
    vinovinovino Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try different brands of bottled water, they all taste different, maybe you can find one that suits your taste.
    Or you can try infused water, herbal tea and occasionally coconut water.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    jenjambon wrote: »
    I tend to chose other things over water, coffee mainly. My protein shakes also satisfy my thirst somewhat. I would say I drink less than most but it’s not a choice I think I have just always been that way, never really thirsty I mean. I like your alarm idea. I have already set three for tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.

Your coffee and protein shake are both made with water... Why would they not count towards your water intake?
  • jenjambon
    Options
    I have gone back to my post bariatric diet and, per instructions, I am to drink at least 64oz of plain water (I can use a 0 calorie mix in) per day. This is not inclusive of any other liquid such as shakes or coffee.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,075 Member
    Options
    Okay here's the thing about motivation.

You're nevergoing to feel like doing it.

Your brain is wired that way, to be on autopilot. Doing what you're used to doing day in day out. And then when you try something different or even think about doing something different your brain pulls on the emergency break and within 5 seconds your brain has talked yourself out of it.

But if you count backwards from 5 and then just drink a glass of water then you've done it (the counting backwards from 5 is important, it distracts the "emergency break" or the part of your brain that's responsible for your feelings and engages a different part of your brain. It has to be backwards, if you count upwards then you can just keep counting.

This is based on a motivational speaker who has really helped me sort myself out. She's called Mel Robbins. YouTube her TED Talk and you'll get what I'm on about.

My personal tip though, is because I have kids I have multicoloured cups. And they measure 8oz.
    So I leave one of the brighter colours next to the sink.
    It stands out. It's there. I see it, I drink. It's the only purpose for the cup. Now for me the colour changes. In fact today it's Peppa Pig but let's not go into that lol! But having one colour cup is easier because you associate it with just drinking water.

I drink 2 of them a time. I realised I can down 8oz in 5 gulps so it takes 5 seconds for me to drink a cup. Also, if I get 4 in by noon, the rest follow very easily. If I don't get them in then 8 oz seems very overwhelming for some reason and I'm less likely to get it in.

Hope this helps :)
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Start slow. I have a thermoflask water bottle(one that keeps it cold all day). Its 40oz or 30oz if i put a bunch of ice in. I started just trying to drink one of those through out the day. With the surgery you most likley wont be able to chug it. So small sips through out the day. When that becomes second nature increase the amount. now i try to drink 2-3 of these a day.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    You make drinking water a job. I start out first thing in the morning by drinking two 8 oz glasses. I drink water throughout the day and change up the flavor with fresh lemon or those True Lemon and True Lime flavors. I also allow myself two bottles of sparkling water a day. I have a water tracking app that I really like. It's fun to watch my person fill up with water and once I hit my goal (128 oz.) I get confetti, cheers, and a song. :smiley:
  • jenjambon
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the tips. I truly can’t wait to try them. BTW, drinking water right now! Let it flow right?!