FitBit data

Options
Hi all,I’ve bought a Fitbit to try and keep a rough track on calories burned a day,my 1st morning of wearing it & I’ve just got in from work and it’s reading that I’ve covered 2.66 miles and 5,500 steps but what I’m querying is that it’s saying I’ve burned 1,010 calories that surely is miles off I would have thought it to be no more than around 300 tops,I’ve never used one of these before can somebody please confirm that that amount it’s saying burnt is way off
Cheers

Replies

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Load a free step app on your phone and carry it everywhere for a few days. It will help verify the Fitbit. If you find it does consistently overcount , you can adjust sensitivity.
  • mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What is your suggested tdee? The Fitbit burn includes what you would do doing nothing, and adds calories for movement. I find mine accurate to an extent, but most calculators under estimate for me. This is thought comes from tracking and my results. Eg losing faster than projected. Some people find the opposite.
  • samiejones1
    samiejones1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That includes your tdee up to that point in the day so sounds plausible. I wake up having already burned 400 calories :-)
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's not 1000 calories from exercise it's the total calories you've burned up until that point in the day. So that includes calories burned from moving, breathing, eating, sleeping etc. Everything.

Fitbits take a bit of time to adjust so you should wear it for a least a week and re-evaluate.
  • ketobucko
    ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    mrslynda wrote: »
    What is your suggested tdee? The Fitbit burn includes what you would do doing nothing, and adds calories for movement. I find mine accurate to an extent, but most calculators under estimate for me. This is thought comes from tracking and my results. Eg losing faster than projected. Some people find the opposite.

My suggested tdee is just over 2,500,I’ve currently got 4 weeks left of a 14 week cut and am looking at loosing maybe another 3-4 pound in that time,I’m consuming just over 2,000 cals a day so I shouldn’t be to far off with that
    Thanks for the replies
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,912 Member
    Options
    Fitbit, without digging, reports TDEE calories, not specific activity calories.
    The Fitbit adjustment, reported on MFP as an exercise adjustment, is NOT an exercise adjustment. It is a TDEE adjustment equalizing MFP's and Fitbit's TDEE estimates AT MIDNIGHT.