Stepped on the scale has sent me bawling

Options
mybigfat
mybigfat Posts: 162 Member
220lbs. That's more than when I was 9 months pregnant. I have been gaining massive amounts of weight this year. I want it to stop here. I do great for about a week the bam back in McDonalds drive thru with 2 sandwiches and a large fries and coke. I am disgusting.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Dont aim to do great? Or really, aim to NOT do great? It's the thoughts you have about yourself that are disgusting, not you.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I ate lots of McDonald's when I lost over one hundred pounds. You can look up the science teacher who ate nothing but McDonald's for six months and lost over sixty pounds.
  • mybigfat
    Options
    What how
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    mybigfat wrote: »
    What how

Calories in, calories out.
  • mybigfat
    Options
    And ya I'm just mad at myself I still feel bad
  • Erinloveable
    Erinloveable Posts: 46 Member
    Options

You aren't disgusting lol. Who doesn't like fast food? 220 isn't that large. Tons of thin men eat more than 2 sandwiches, large fries and a coke. I think to be happy and successful in weight loss, you should probably accept that you are a normal human and not the worst person on the planet.

If you did great every week and had McDonalds once a week, you'd still be trending downwards, but you just give up. Just because you ate some junk doesn't mean you failed. Maybe if you allowed fast food once or twice a month you wouldn't feel like you need a forbidden affair with it lol
  • mybigfat
    Options
    That's true
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    What about planning on having 1 sandwich, a small fries and a diet coke? Log it in to your day in the morning and work everything else out around it. Thinking of your weekly calorie goal might make it easier for you to fit it in as well.

Perhaps you're trying to be overly restrictive with your food choices? I find that if I tell myself I can't have something I want it, if I remove the restriction and know I could have it if I really wanted it I could, I don't want it much.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have been exactly where you were. It really doesn't take that long to lose it. I even refused to put my real number on here that I was starting at(Which I really wish now that I would have).
    Anyhow, as big as I felt I was........I see so many people on here that are role models that showed me that this is not hard. What they have done is very hard. Check out the success page. It will help you :)
    Best of luck on your journey!!!
  • mybigfat
    Options
    Thanks all I am feeling a lot better I still had McDonald's but I made a bit better choices. I am going to try just making the smaller changes
  • jadesothermimi
    jadesothermimi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY know how you feel...I weigh more now than I did when I was pregnant and at my heaviest. it wasnt until I knew I was ready to loose/eat healthy etc that I actually started to loose weight. (still don't exercise as I should) I actually signed up for a program with a local woman who first asks us what WE like to eat (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc) and comes up with a plan for you. She even has a list of restaurants and what foods are OK (even McDonalds!) Of course, French Fries will not be included! AND if you like frozen meals, there are guidelines to choose the healthiest meals. She encourages you to drink at least 100 oz of water a day and at least 10,000 steps a day.. So far I lost btwn 10-14 lbs since the middle of May. I still have days where I want to "pig out" but then I am sorry the next day, but I try to get on track again.. You can do it!!
  • mybigfat
    Options
    That's awesome wish there was something like that here I will have to look into it
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    McDonalds has a pretty good Southwestern salad with grilled chicken...that's what I get when my husband has a yen for his weekly Big Mac...not the same as a fist full of fries, but an option nonetheless.....
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    So for me the trick here is to fill the fridge with healthy greens and fruits. In the freezer lean meats only. When i wake up in the morning i am starving. Ill power through a 40-50 minute HIIT or strenght training. By the time im done im super hungry with zero energy to go out and eat something. Ill grab an apple to eat while cooking steak and chopping vegetables to make a steak salad and maybe low sugar oatmeal if im in dire need of carbs.

The point is to surround yourself with healthy choices and create an excuse to not eat out. You can do this especially if many others have done this before. Theres no reason why you can't never doubt yourself.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hello. I came to a stunning realisation about three weeks ago:
    Nothing is off limits.
    The key is moderation. You can factor in a McDonald's meal once a year, once a month, once a week or once a day if you want, but if it was once a day you would just end up being disappointed in yourself and the cycle of feeling bad about yourself would continue. Once a week is slightly better if you can swap two sandwiches for a Happy meal or chicken nuggets, swap fries for salad or a fruit bag etc. Once a month seems a good compromise if you can have one sandwich, small fries and a salad. It's a nice treat that isn't going to interrupt your weight loss journey, and you can use it as a reward for staying the course. In time you learn that delayed gratification can become a useful tool to keep yourself steady. I think you could do with talking to someone about your low self esteem, because I get the sense that that will be the thing that most affects your weight loss goals. You can find a therapist, or a trusted friend, and people here have said some very helpful things. You're not the worst person for not eating as optimally as you want to; you're just human, prone to the same setbacks everyone on the planet is. Try to be a bit more gentle with yourself. Instead of beating yourself up about having a bit of food you've told yourself you can't have, try telling yourself you can have any food you want, but you are choosing to make different choices that will help your health, not hinder your self esteem. A slight blip is not the end of the world, and it takes time to make course corrections. Even a toy car can't turn on a dime. The more you make small corrections, the easier it will become to make different food choices. In the meantime, treat yourself with a bit more kindness.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Boom. @Millicent3015

All or Nothing Thinking is the recipe for eating it all back. It says that you do everything perfectly or go down the rabbit hole. Moderation is everything. Don't believe anyone who tells you that you cannot moderate yourself or your food choices. You can.

All or Nothing Thinking will keep you in the dieting/rebound weight gain food loop for the rest of your life.
    If you've been an All or Nothing Dieter, has that changed everything for you then? I'm not talking temporarily but I'm talking for the rest of your life.

Moderation is real and it works.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @mybig fat. Consider changing your user name. We're all dealing with a brain that likes the path of least resistance. Deep grooves in the brain that enjoy running on autopilot. Have you ever driven down a long straight stretch of road or a long, lonesome highway and can't remember much about arriving there? The brain was driving on autopilot, in the zone.

Between dream weight back in the past and today's weight, the brain doesn't alert you one single time to STOP. Not one time. The brain waits until a person is at their highest weight before it sounds the alarm. The brain is like that. Silent, completely silent during the eating or eating it all back cycle. The brain does not care.

When the alarm is sounded or the wakeup call comes the brain acts like a bratty child. Not me, don't look at me, I didn't do it. The brain lives for massive rationalization, it will make up all kinds of excuses and point the finger in every direction. Don't blame me. It ain't my fault.

That's what we all have to deal with. When we dig ourselves into a much deeper hole with food we have to focus, focus, focus. Laser focus. This is going to take focus and consistent effort. Consistency and going slow for the permanent WIN.

On a one meal at a time, one day at a time basis, you will eventually look back in the rearview mirror and see how far you've come. Do not dial it down. Give yourself permission to eat the foods you enjoy. Track them and budget for them. Pay as you go.

We must all pay the toll booth for the use of the highway. Stay wide alert out there and focus every day.
  • FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It really does get easier with time. See what happens when you refuse to give up.

Some advice: You can't beat yourself up emotionally into someone that you'll eventually love being. Losing weight and getting healthy is more than changing our size. It's a loooooong journey of self acceptance through mindfulness and personal discipline.