Xantham gum

Options
I will put this on the general health category too because i really dont know where this subject belongs but everytime i google Xantam Gum in google it just describes like the scientific aspects and what it actually is, substance, fancy terms etc... percentages and such.

Sooo i wanted to ask you guys because as many know theres a thing called protein fluff which is basically frozen fruit ,whey ,and XANTHAM GUM.
Is this stuff bad for you? Bad or good for cutting? Bad or good for bulking? Bad or good for overall health and body system? I ask this because this stuff is found in things like ice cream and diet sodas and regular sodas which arent good for you. Just asking. And the only non scientific thing i found about xantham gum was that it just enlarges things and makes the product more volumous??

Replies

• New2ket0
    New2ket0 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It’s like a gelatine as far as I’m aware
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Xanthan gum. I have a packet of the pure stuff to add to my bread doughs. It’s a polysaccharide like starch and glycogen. It acts as a thickener and it’s GRAS. A lady scientist discovered it.

If you shake a sauce or a dressing in a jar and it thickens up, chances are it has some Xanthan gum in it.

I add a teaspoon to my shake mix and it thickens my home made meal replacement shake pleasingly.

It’s handy for celiacs as it’s long chain saccharides can provide texture to baking in the absence of gluten.

As soon as I see the GRAS designation I stop worrying about it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What is the GRAS designation. I'm not familiar with that.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generally_recognized_as_safe
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Xanthem Gum, in fact its commonly sold as a thickener in health food stores as a replacement for corn starch and the like For my money though, I use ground tapioca for my thickener, when I need it. Hello Stir Fry. I like the flavor. I didn't realize Xanthem Gum made things puff up though. Hmm. Thinking of ways to use it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generally_recognized_as_safe

Thanks!
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Starbucks puts this in many of their drinks to keep them stay thick longer.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Just a thickening agent; it's pretty much just all fiber macro nutrient wise & often in small quantities.
    This stuff is fun to play with; the more the mix it, the thicker it becomes (can become too gummy). Often listed as the last ingredient on labels (very small quantities). Similar to corn starch
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I didn't realize Xanthem Gum made things puff up though. Hmm. Thinking of ways to use it. [/quote}

too funny
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just made protein fluff for the first time with xantham gum. It made my stomach hurt
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It's just a gluten free starch
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's just a thickener. Not good or bad for cutting, not good or bad for bulking, all it does is change the consistency of food. It's kind of stickier than starch and a tiny bit of it goes a long way. It also likes to clump together if you add it in one plop. I found better results either mixing it in evenly with whatever dry ingredients you're using (like protein powder) before mixing in the liquid, or by sprinkling it evenly on the surface before mixing if you're using it to thicken a liquid.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It's fermented cornstarch or wheat starch. If you have a grain allergy, be careful with it. Apparently it can cause digestive distress in some people due to the fiber content.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    If you like massive flatulence, it's fantastic. It's fermented, I do know that. Both my wife and I can't handle it, even in the smallest of quantities very well. GF bread is loaded with it. It will (in some people) cause massive gas.

Xanthan gum is a "highly efficient laxative," according to a study that fed 15 g/day for 10 days to 18 normal volunteers. (from Wikipedia).
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I do like using xanthan and guar gum too (protein fluff and the like)...it really fills you up too. However, I've had to watch how much I'm consuming due to the above said side effects (flatulence in particular!). Helps iced recipes form less ice crystals