Help-my cardio may be in danger?!?!

Options
I am hoping all of my wise and wonderful MFP people can offer some very necessary advice for me ASAP. I have an appointment with the dr. on Friday and I am scared of what he might tell me. For about a week now, I have has pain in my shin that has increased in severity on a daily basis, especially after working out or walking. It may be a shin splint, but is more likely a stress fracture from the initial phone diagnosis. This is where I need help! If it is a stress fracture, healing takes time and I need suggestions for any cardio options that won't put my leg at risk. I am 2 weeks in and have been really committed to burning 400-900 calories with the treadmill, elliptical and arc trainer so now I am scared my hard work and bad habits will come back if I can't get that kind of burn at least 5 days a week. I am looking for any and all suggestions-PLEASE!!!!!

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    coming from someone who just had a stress fx i can tell u that I was allowed to do both the recumbent bike and elliptical..no side to side, no running or jumping...and just be careful..
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    About 90% of running/walking injuries come from having the wrong shoes. I see it happen all the time. It looks like you got it to the point where you need to lay off of it. I know you want to jump into it but you don't want to cripple yourself.

Go see the doctor. He will be able to diagnose it better than anybody here. The doctor will be able to tell you what to do to fix it, nobody here can. So basically my point is listen to the doctor and not anybody here. We can't visually see, touch, or run tests on these boards.

And about shoes, check out my blog or go to a professional fitter like road runner. If you have any more questions you can ask me.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out until you know for sure what it is. THEN figure out what you can do.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I hurt my wrist last year and you don't realize how many things are affected. Jogging was excruciating. The best thing to do is just suck it up and get better. Tell your Dr what your concerns are. Tell them you don't consider complete inactivity an option. They may prescribe physical therapy, which is really just prescribed exercise.
    I changed Drs after I hurt my wrist.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Stay off it. I know it sucks, but i didnt and it cost my almost 6 months of no runninng. Ice it a few times a day before you go to the doc and insit on an xray. You want to be really sure you dont add more injury. Good Luck :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    shadow boxing and swimming are great for cardio if you have to stay off your feet.
  • leopardvice
    Options
    i have been having really bad knee problems so i started swimming at my gym. i never really thought of swimming as good cardio but ive been swimming about an hour and a half every day and i feel like im getting a good exercise in... plus a nice tan.
    good luck at the dr. hope all is well.
  • whispiri
    whispiri Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had a shin splint about six or seven weeks ago. My chiropractor just ordered me to stick to the elliptical at that time and no walking for at least a week. He did accupunture (he is an accupuncturist as well) a few times and then when I started back to walking, I only walked on grass for a few the next few weeks or sand. I also limited my walks to no more than 15 minutes twice a day when I started back.

Make sure you ice it after each workout for at least a half hour or more. That was my saving grace. It helped immensely. There are also other things you can try.......Jillian Michaels said in her 30 day shred that doing a squat and boxing ecxercise (out in front of you) was a great way to get cardio in when you have a lower body injury. There is no impact but your hamstrings are still getting a work out there plus you are adding cardio by doing fast punch in the air.

I am happy to say that I finally did a 7 KM walk last night (6 to 8 weeks later) with minimal effects to my legs. So keep your head up.

Shannon
  • nataliarunes
    Options
    Elliptical trainers are low impact so should be safe for a light work out daily, I would consider boxing workouts, like a heavy bag or a speed bag style workout, or even some of the cardio boxing stuff just lay off of the movement, I am gaining my mobility back after a life time of really messed up ankles so I have had to alter a lot of exercises enough to be able to get the strength there. Good luck