Angry and upset

Options
I’m feeling so angry tonight. We had an amazing dinner within my calories (1200) but I wanted to pig out on the leftovers so bad! We had meatballs and pasta. I’m partly hungry and partly just have a bad attitude. I don’t want to cave. I have a 30kg weight loss goal.
I’m more angry that I was always very small and I have never struggled with my weight and had to diet until the last few years.
How does everyone stop themselfs from giving up? It’s day 12 for me on mfp and I haven’t struggled much at all until today.

Replies

• Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I will workout more and try and use that to increase calories but when it happens on days that I don’t exercise do I just suck it up and be hangry or should I allow myself to eat a little extra to take the thoughts away from completely giving up?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I will workout more and try and use that to increase calories but when it happens on days that I don’t exercise do I just suck it up and be hangry or should I allow myself to eat a little extra to take the thoughts away from completely giving up?
    Hangry.
    First you have to determine if you are eating enough. Heigth, weight?
    If you're eating too little, eat more.
    If you're eating enough, suck it up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options

Are you on 1200 because MFP gave you that amount?

Personally, I raised my calorie limit to 1250 because it gave me enough for a small evening snack which suited me just fine.

I also found there were good choices and poor choices. Pears and cashews, for example, aren't worth it. They are relatively high in calories and I was hungry about 20 minutes later. Brown rice, chicken and veg, on the other hand, seem to work better for me.

And yes, there are times when I was hangry. But then I'd tell myself that I could wait till the weekend when I did a long bicycle ride. It wasn't forever.
  • lmtval
    lmtval Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I will do really well for a few days and stay within my 1800 daily calorie limit and then have a 2,500 calorie day.

MFP put me on 1900 calories limit to lose two pounds a a week. Scale was moving very slowly so I dropped to 1800. Think I am going to drop to 1600.

In 38 days I have lost 13 pounds.

Please don’t give up. And also wondering if 1200 is your own goal. I know it can be very very frustrating to have those moments when you get hungry or overeat or gain back a couple of pounds.

But talk to us because we understand. We are here for you.

• kommodevaran
    Options
    lmtval wrote: »
    I will do really well for a few days and stay within my 1800 daily calorie limit and then have a 2,500 calorie day.

MFP put me on 1900 calories limit to lose two pounds a a week. Scale was moving very slowly so I dropped to 1800. Think I am going to drop to 1600.

In 38 days I have lost 13 pounds.

Please don’t give up. And also wondering if 1200 is your own goal. I know it can be very very frustrating to have those moments when you get hungry or overeat or gain back a couple of pounds.

But talk to us because we understand. We are here for you.
    If 1800 is hard to stick to, does it make sense to go even lower?
  • lmtval
    lmtval Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is what I am wondering. I posted that very question under Need suggestions!

Please offer any and all advice!!

Thanks.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    With 30kg to lose, I doubt 1200 is an appropriate goal for you (combined with the fact that it's making you upset and angry about food). Faster /= better most of the time (barring severe obesity-related medical issues that can be improved with rapid weight-loss).

Patience is key. You didn't put the weight on overnight. Get used to the idea that it's going to take a while to get it off, and settle into some sustainable habits that won't leave you feeling punished and miserable.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    lmtval wrote: »
    That is what I am wondering. I posted that very question under Need suggestions!

Please offer any and all advice!!

Thanks.
    I have now. Take a peek and see if there is anything you can use.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I practice gratitude. Having access to an abundance of great food is a blessing, and it's my responsibility to take what I need, but not more.

wow... that's deep stuff....
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I couldn't agree with @kommodevaran more. For me, it's been about the mental aspect of how I used food and working through that along with coming up with different coping mechanisms for when I'm angry, sad, bored, etc.. Give yourself some grace when these moments come around and as they will for quite some time. Find other things to do to divert your attention and keep going.
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    try the volumetrics approach, add fiber and water rich veggies and broth based soups like a chicken vegetable as an appetizer it adds few calories but will enable you to feel full with less pasta . It also adds to the fluid and where vegetables take a bit to digest it will make it easier to avoid eating up the left overs . the first month or 2 is the hardest . I have been at this a while and what saves me is adding fiber and vegetables . and remember even if you add 100 or so cal to the day with a soup loosing a touch slower and avoiding the hangrys is a good move . I was loosing much faster at 1100 but was always feeling a bit stressed and annoyed so I moved up to allowing up to 1480 I do not always use it all ,,and I need to remember to move to stay on track .
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I practice gratitude. Having access to an abundance of great food is a blessing, and it's my responsibility to take what I need, but not more.

wow... that's deep stuff....
    I know right :D

Actually, I have found weight management more of a mind thing than a body thing, and as time goes by, more and more a spiritual thing. What can you say about something that is in its essence "eat less, move more", which sounds so simple, but is a pretty hard thing to do for real, consistently, and forever?

Just a note off topic. I can remember, not the date, the tone of your posts changing and thinking you had taken a very zen approach. I like it.

Cheers, h.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. So I had a look over my diary’s and I have been leaving about 500-700kj most days not by choice, iv just eaten enough for myself. I decided to have a sandwich and just accept it, I was very hangry! My food choices have been pretty good so I’m not going to let it ruin my journey. Back to it today and I’ll just get some workouts in to makeup for whatever calories iv consumed. Normally once I cave I just give.