Running Shoe Mileage

Options
govenderd1
govenderd1 Posts: 30 Member
edited July 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
So was wondering how often do you generally change shoes? What are your tell-tale signs?

65kg weight. 90% running on tarred roads. My ASICS GT 1000 has 600km (370 miles) and I am starting to imagine some foot arch pain. Left toe box has a small tear already. It is a stability shoe as I have some light pronation.

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    The general recommendation is 300-400 miles. Some shoes last much longer (some shorter).

I’ve used the model you’re talking about and found them to wear out more quickly than some others. I was closer to 300 miles with them (but they are less expensive than others, so it all works out I guess).

Telltale signs for me are loss of cushion, things starting to tear, worn tread, but most importantly-aches and pains. When a 5 mile run feels like I just ran 15, or I start having random aches and pains somewhere, it’s time to retire the shoes.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Get new shoes. I go by race. Half marathon to half marathon...so October and april
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I feel it in my calves and thighs.

I get 250 ± 25 miles per pair. Doesn't matter the brand, doesn't matter the cost. 80kg right now. Doesn't matter my weight either. 250 miles when I'm 80 kg, 250 miles 68 kg
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The general recommendation is 300-400 miles. Some shoes last much longer (some shorter).

I’ve used the model you’re talking about and found them to wear out more quickly than some others. I was closer to 300 miles with them (but they are less expensive than others, so it all works out I guess).

Telltale signs for me are loss of cushion, things starting to tear, worn tread, but most importantly-aches and pains. When a 5 mile run feels like I just ran 15, or I start having random aches and pains somewhere, it’s time to retire the shoes.

+1 Great points! Same.

I definitely lean towards more when the cushioning of the shoes starts to wear, it's probably getting close to ditching the shoes and grabbing some new ones.

I have a couple of pairs and I try to rotate them fairly often to extend their life expectancy a bit, but some shoes just wear out sooner than others.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I rotate shoes, so they last longer since they get more time to dry out between uses. I usually get 350-500 miles on a pair and after I stop running in them they'll become my walking shoes for a while. When I start getting random pains, especially in my knees, it's time to retire them completely.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    govenderd1 wrote: »
    So was wondering how often do you generally change shoes? What are your tell-tale signs?

65kg weight. 90% running on tarred roads. My ASICS GT 1000 has 600km (370 miles) and I am starting to imagine some foot arch pain. Left toe box has a small tear already. It is a stability shoe as I have some light pronation.

Depends on the shoes really. Anything from 350mi to 600. Lower end was lower cost Saucony road shoes, higher end is Inov-8 trail shoes.

As others, I rotate shoes which gives some additional life.
  • govenderd1
    govenderd1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the valuable insights. Will grab a new pair this weekend to be safe.

Did a quick check on Strava. Very few of my running club members seem to be on more than 400 miles on their shoes.