Heartbreak as a driving force

Options
Anyone else use heartbreak as a driving force to getting your life together?

Keeping it real, I was very active on this app over 2 years ago. I was easily in the best shape of my life and for once I was happy that I had control of my life. Met a woman who would encourage me to push myself even more and decided to join the army as things weren't going well in my life but she remained someone that for once, loved me for me and I let her in and fast forward to now...I'm on deployment, things were stressful as *kitten* as it was the hardest part of the deployment and things have settled a lot now but I'm still reeling over the breakup 3 months after the fact. Of course, it has gotten better.

I stopped working out due to the stress of the deployment (long hours, talking 40+ at a time with 12 hours downtime) and her demands which I couldn't meet and it only made me angrier and resentful. I became an *kitten* and sometimes I just think that's always going to be me. I started working out again and it has been therapeutic. I have 1 more month here and I'll be back in the US. I guess I just want to feel less alone and hear others experiences, were all here for one reason or another.

So share your stories if you got them.

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hey man. First of all thanks for doing the things many people wouldn't. You're making a difference.

It's a shame you've gone through this but I do believe every challenge put in front of us is to make us stronger in a particular way. I look at bad things in a positive way and it looks like your story has a positive ending (strength, endurance, experience). Look for those things.

My story is rather more ordinary! I was really active as a kid and teenager doing multiple sports and self defence classes. I was always on my bike etc. When I went to university I still ate like I was very active but became very sedentary and found beer! I piled on lots of weight through my 20's but didn't really realise or care. Got diabetes at the age of 30 and started to work my way back to fit and healthy.

I've been doing yoga for mobility, mountain biking for fun and cardio and I'm lifting weights.

Nice to hear your story and only 1 month to go! Woop
  • williamwj2017
    williamwj2017 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey man that's awesome. I was out of shape and disgusted with myself a few years ago until I saw one of my buddies pictures of his transformation and it inspired me. It's funny now in a way that me and that friend that inspired me experienced a break up and are now back on the grind to push ourselves even further.

Of course, it's better to live an honest life than to sit and always act like everything is okay.
  • williamwj2017
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hey were all here for personal reasons this is a great site for what you're looking for. You'll be happy and much stronger in the end. Our situations are different but much the same in certain aspect. You're doing the right thing in taking care of yourself.

Just use that pain to fuel you on your journey. Talking through it helps but in the end you're the one picking up the pieces. I'm sure you know that situations are temporary, rejoice in that. Do what you can to get out of that situation but take care of yourself and watching your diet is the first step. Go out for walks, anything to keep your mind distracted. Be VERY mindful of what you put into your body. Think logically about the foods you consume and how much. Remember you're always in control.

I'll send you a friend request on here. Just stay focused on what it is you want for YOU. Talk to friends that you trust too.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Deployments suck *kitten* (speaking as one who had been on the other side of it). I'm guessing your coping/mental state is a bit different at the moment than when you're stateside. It's hard but unavoidable. I hope the next month passes quickly. I know a lot of people come back in amazing shape because it's something to do and a way to work off some of the stress.
  • williamwj2017
    Options
    Yeah this deployment has been very hard on a lot of people. Everyone's just dying to get home Haha