Long runs and digestive distress?

Options
EmbeeKay
EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
I am training for a half marathon, and I'm new to these lengthy runs. I don't know how to eat (or not eat) before the run. I did a 9-mile run at the end of the day, after a full day's worth of food, and that was a bad decision. I did a 10 mile in the morning after a cup of coffee and while that was better during the run, for about six hours after I got home, eating or drinking anything made me feel extremely nauseous for several minutes. The long runs are kind of messing with my digestive system. Is this normal? How are you supposed to eat when you have a long run coming up? What if I have no other option but to do the run at the end of the day?

Replies

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Usually you want to train like you're going to race. I have 14 miles today. My go-to 1-2 hours before is peanut butter toast.

How much fluids are you taking on these long runs? Have you started taking gels or other fuel while running? How fast are you running and have you tried slowing down to see if that helps?
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My magic is to wake up 60 min before the run. Down 8-12 oz water first, coffee, then banana with almond butter. I find that gluten based foods upset my stomach before a run.

Post run- hardboiled eggs sprinkled with salt or high quality deli meat. Something to replace the lost salts and protein for muscle recovery.

Recovery eating is important but I get digestive issues after long runs too.

Good luck! I'm training for my 5th half marathon. Each time feels like a learning experience.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I eat my usual breakfast (protein enriched cereal) and drink at least a pint of water before a long run.

Over 10 miles I take water and a gel with me.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. For me, no dairy; and my breakfast before long runs is either toast with peanut butter or a little whole grain oatmeal.

Also on long runs, I might begin with a shorter loop that comes back by my home. Just in case I need the restroom and I can rehydrate. Digestive issues normally happen for me early in the run and not typical after an hour or more.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Definitely trial and error. I keep a list of what upsets my stomach and what doesn't, both during the run and before. It is good practice for race day, so try various things during your training to see what makes your stomach happy and what doesn't.

I have a friend who always fuels her marathons with Mountain Dew and two Krispy Kreme donuts. That would make me too sick to run. In my case, dairy (especially ice cream), fatty foods (i.e. pizza), and too much fiber (chili) need to be avoided the night before a long run/race. On the day of the long run/race it is best to avoid a heavy meal beforehand, so I'll eat my usual breakfast (cereal and coffee) if I'm running in the a.m. or a peanut butter sandwich if I'm running in the afternoon and wait an hour or two before running. I've learned the hard way that eating something sweet before a run, besides fruit or juice, will make me really sick, but I can eat a banana on my way out the door and it sits well. During my training I practice with various gels, etc. to see what my stomach likes and dislikes. Dates and Shot bloks digest well. I also do well with Gatorade. Some Gels are easy to handle (Gu strawberry-banana) and some give me horrible cramps (Crank e-gels). Eating just a little at a time so it lasts for a mile or so works better than forcing it down at once. I'm fine with caffeine in gels, but some people can't handle it at all.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • mudrunner79
    mudrunner79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my first half I increased hydration by a lot. All water. Through training I cut out pop completely and I've never gone back. I feel so much better. I would eat a small serving of steel cut oats beforehand or just a banana. I struggled with severe stomach pain after races, and only races where I pushed myself, for years. Now I rarely have any stomach pain. Diet and hydration are key! Good luck 🏃‍♀️