Ounces??? Do you count Before or after cooking???

Options
Just wondering??? I don't really know when to do it. The meat or fish always weighs less after cooking...please help!!!!!!

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Usually the nutritional facts are before cooking.
  • val_140
    val_140 Posts: 75
    Options
    I have the same question. I always count before but my food shrinks!
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I always weighed it before.
  • lyncccox1
    Options
    I weigh it while it's raw.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You always weigh before. Yes it shrinks, but that's how it is calculated.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I do it before cooking but I understand your comment. Fish, chicken, beef, vegetables, etc shrink after cooking.
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Unless it says "cooked", weigh it before.
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    FDA requirements are always RAW unless posted otherwise- you can lose a lot of water saturation during cooking-best to always go raw
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Look at any restaurant menu at their burger, they have a * usually beside the 1/2 lb burger, and very clearly if you follow the * state that that refers to weight BEFORE cooking.

It's the only way that you could get the "same" measurement of calories from the same piece of meat... ie cooking it to blue-rare or whatever it is there's a lot more moisture (water weight) than in the same piece of meat cooked to well done.
    Same as pasta etc, if you like it Al dente and someone else cooks it so much that it barely holds its form they have a lot more water weight though you started with the same 100grams of pasta dry...
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Unless it says "cooked", weigh it before.

This!

Same goes with frozen stuff (like frozen veggies)...if its 85 grams per serving that's before cooking.
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always weigh it after it is cooked. I figure I want to weigh what I am actually going to eat and ,unless it is meant to be eaten raw, I am going to cook it. I then know exactly what I am putting in my body.
  • RitaPrior
    RitaPrior Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I always weight after it's cooked. I dont care what the BEFORE is..its the AFTER that I am putting in me.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I always weigh after and use the nutritional info for the cooked version.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I go by the nutritional labels. But, for fresh food, I was never quite sure. Thanks for the input.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Do whichever suits you best - the database has raw and cooked data for most foods.
    Just search in the database for "chicken breast raw" or " chicken breast grilled" as an example.