Sugar Question

Options
I'm trying to stay around a 1200 cal a day diet, MFP puts my sugar at 24gm. I'm really having trouble staying under this as if I eat two pieces of fruit or a yogurt, I'm over.

I'm having trouble eating 1200cal without going over on sugar. Only if I eat less then 1200cal do I stay under on Sugar, and I know that's not good.

Any advice or suggestions. Feel free to friend me to see my food diary.

Thanks!

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    you actually should be eating more then 1200, it's not so great for your body to be eating that little. Anyway I've been told most of the time that you shouldn't worry if it's from fruit so much, that doesn't mean go crazy because even too much of that sugar is bad.

good job on your weight loss so far =]
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I'm the same and it's so annoying! Honestly, I stopped tracking sugar because I have so much fruit.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay around a 1200 cal a day diet, MFP puts my sugar at 24gm. I'm really having trouble staying under this as if I eat two pieces of fruit or a yogurt, I'm over.

I'm having trouble eating 1200cal without going over on sugar. Only if I eat less then 1200cal do I stay under on Sugar, and I know that's not good.

Any advice or suggestions. Feel free to friend me to see my food diary.

Thanks!

I have the same issue, but I worry more about getting my 1200 calories. If I go over on sugar--especially on something healthy like fruit--I don't sweat it. Of course everyone is different. If the high sugar is preventing you from losing weight, then maybe cut back on the fruit, yogurt,etc.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    My nutritionists tell us to have two pieces of fruit per day and the doctor says APPLES are best. He also says to only have one banana a week. Avoiding sugar is difficult, but that's why our plan has us concentrate on eating lean protein for 50% of our main meals (80 grams per day). The rest of our meals are salad and veggies. Fruits are usually used for the two snacks. By reading labels and making sure that none of your servings are over 12-15 grams of sugar, each, you can keep your sugar down. But, that is more like 45 grams per day with 1500 calories per day and a limit of 100 calories. I get tired of apples, so I also use Clementines and my banana per week, but man, are they high in carbs!!!

I love the protein shakes for my snacks. (100% whey, 160 calories, 30g of protein)
  • LaurenJn83
    Options
    If I were you, I'd manually set your calorie goal to 1300-1400 because you want to get your 1200. Watch your carbs more than sugar. Keep those to less than 120-140. While fruit is good, because of the sugar content, look for fruits with more fiber (apple with peeling vs. Banana). Foods with more fiber help you stay full longer where as a more sugary fruit will only spike your blood glucose and drop leaving you feeling hungry for something sweet in an hour or so.