Trying yet again...feeling down and defeated

Options
Hi everyone I’m a 37 year old single mom. I work and attend grad school. My children are teenagers, so my weight gain isn’t from them. I am stressed :/ I just went on the scale Wednesday and I’m now at 275, and I’m 5’6”. I’ve started this site in February when I came back from vacation and I was at 264 lbs, so needless to say I’ve gained weight since then. Not only that, I’m also going through a breakup which is 2 weeks fresh. My overall mood is low and I just don’t know how to start again. My body aches all the time, yet I can’t stop eating. I know my issue was that I overeat, and now during this time I’m eating more. My overall goal is to get to 170 lbs. my ore birth weight is far less than that. I just want to feel healthy and look like I can walk without losing my breath. I hate the way I look in clothes and leggings seem to be the only pants that fit. I can still get away with some XL or 1x shirts because my chest is small, but my bottom is huge :/. Anyway I’m looking for some motivators to try and get back on track. I just feel so down :/

Replies

• maebutler46
    maebutler46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I understand, be encouraged aND ask God to help you.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Jessie, do you have someone you can talk to. Social media can offer a small amount of solace but you need a shoulder right now. You're carrying all of your stress in your body. Swimming is great for getting rid of stress, along with a therapy pool if you have one in your locale. A therapeutic massage would be good, too. You need to get everything out so you can start putting all of the pieces back together. Tiny steps for tiny feet. You don't want to go beast mode at the gym. How about walking in the evening with a friend, someone you can share your heart with. Do you have track handy, one with a rubber surface is preferred. You can walk around and around and talk and talk and talk. The time flies and you'll feel soooo much better. You'll be able to sleep better, too.
    Go every day.
  • JessieCanDoThis
    JessieCanDoThis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words. It means a lot.
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Jessie, do you have someone you can talk to. Social media can offer a small amount of solace but you need a shoulder right now. You're carrying all of your stress in your body. Swimming is great for getting rid of stress, along with a therapy pool if you have one in your locale. A therapeutic massage would be good, too. You need to get everything out so you can start putting all of the pieces back together. Tiny steps for tiny feet. You don't want to go beast mode at the gym. How about walking in the evening with a friend, someone you can share your heart with. Do you have track handy, one with a rubber surface is preferred. You can walk around and around and talk and talk and talk. The time flies and you'll feel soooo much better. You'll be able to sleep better, too.
    Go every day.

To be honest I’m not a fan of social media. I don’t want to bore my friends so I try and do this myself but I see it’s not going anywhere. But I will talk to one who is close to me instead of me keeping this all bottled in. Thank you for your reply
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    It's really hard to deprive yourself of the pleasure of food when life isn't giving you much in the way of other kinds of fun! The trick is to figure out how to treat yourself without a lot of calories.

I suggest logging everything you eat and the exercise you do for a week, without trying to make any changes, so you can get an idea of where you are. Then look at your diet and figure out what is important to you, where it's easy to make changes, and also the situations and places and people which lead you to make bad food choices. For example, I stopped drinking soda because I just can't regulate it, and I don't like diet. But I still eat small amounts of dark chocolate every day. I stopped going over to my mom's for dinner and started doing other activities with her instead. I started painting my fingernails new colors as a treat, instead of buying junk as a treat. Everyone is different and you can figure out what works for you.

You are about the weight I was when I started. I'm down 125 pounds today. You can do this!

Congrats on the weight loss. It will be hard as I’m an emotional eater but I’m going to try yet again to make this work. Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Make small changes and set small goals. Don't insist on remaking your entire diet and lifestyle on day one.

Just start logging and noticing where you waste calories. Find the stuff that's easy to change and start from there. Go for a short walk. Switch to diet soda. Go online and find reasonable calorie options on the menus of your favorite restaurants. Understand you will have days you go off track - everyone does. The key is forgiving yourself and getting right back on track.

Read the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum. Poke around in the Success forum. Good luck!

Hi Kimmy sounds like very good advise. Thank you for your words