Running every day

Does anyone in the community run every day? If so, for how long and how many ks? I'm an avid runner but find that I need to run on alternate days to prevent injuries. If you do run every day do you find that you manage to stay injury free? Any tips for doing so? I'd love to run every day as it burns more calories and I would lose weight faster!

Replies

• RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    I dont run every day. I've actually cut back a bit to focus on strength training and have found it makes my runs stronger. I get the worst IT band stuff, and find this method works. One long run, two speed days, and a tempo. The other days I do active recovery- stair stepper, strength,, plyometrics
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    In June I ran 3 miles everyday. This was to kickstart me a bit as for the previous 2 months I’d not run as much as I would have liked. A few runs were up to 5 miles. If your mileage isn’t too high I don’t see a problem. After all it’s only about 30 minutes. I was watching my heart rate at the same time and slowed my running down. Not only did it give me my mojo back it also helped me start to pace a little better. I’m now running 6 or 7 miles 3 times a week with a longer one at the weekend and it feels a lot more comfortable.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    My cousin ran everyday for a year, but usually only 1 mile with a few 5ks and halfs thrown in. He's a very experienced runner and did 12 halfs the year before doing this. So he remained injury free by being extremely well conditioned and going short distances
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited July 2018
    AnitaKundu wrote: »
    I'd love to run every day as it burns more calories and I would lose weight faster!

I'm curious if you'd run daily if it didn't cause any weight loss.

I run daily, but not because of calories or fat loss, but rather for fitness & health. When i need to lose weight, i only change my calorie intake, never my fitness plan.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I run 5-6 days a week on average. Best advice to avoid injury is to slow down your pace in order to focus on your gait, posture, and breathing. As far as weight loss, you cannot out run a fork. While it can help, it takes a lot of running to really increase noticable results. I ran about 4 miles this morning - calories burned: less than 500. That would mean running 4 miles a day, everyday is still less than 1lb/week. Also, I find that running a lot slows my weight loss as my hunger goes up, a lot. I run because I enjoy it and for the added bonus of cardiovascular health, not for weight loss.
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I run 5-6 days a week on average. Best advice to avoid injury is to slow down your pace in order to focus on your gait, posture, and breathing. As far as weight loss, you cannot out run a fork. While it can help, it takes a lot of running to really increase noticable results. I ran about 4 miles this morning - calories burned: less than 500. That would mean running 4 miles a day, everyday is still less than 1lb/week. Also, I find that running a lot slows my weight loss as my hunger goes up, a lot. I run because I enjoy it and for the added bonus of cardiovascular health, not for weight loss.

Pretty much everything I would have said! I love running for the alone time it gives me to think and the health, but any weight loss I've had was through calorie counting and mindfulness!
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    I used to run six days a week — typically about 7 miles a day and 14 on Sundays. It was fine for many years, but then I got greedy and pushed the pace too much on too many runs, and I ran injured for a long time trying to hit a certain half marathon time. I got injured and never really got back to running.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I run every day, 2.25km minimum, with a technique session 1x week which could be hills or sprints or just technique, then I have one mid length (7-10km) and one long (10-17km) run a week. I get a full 24-36hrs rest period each by timing runs and other activity. What I've found is that running that couple of km each day has helped with the panicky feeling I was getting at the start of each run while I was settling in.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    streaking.
    i do a mile a day at least. but i didn't start that way. i started with c25k, and built up to 13 miles. 17 once when i got lost
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Probably depends on the distance you're running. Most people I know who run daily do pretty short mileage except for maybe a few runs per week that are longer.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    I run 7 miles (an hour for me) just about every day when the weather cooperates. To me the keys are building up slowly and listening to your body (taking a day off when you need it). You can’t go from never running to running every day... you can’t go from a mile a day directly to 7 miles a day... you can’t go from 12 minute miles to 8 minute miles overnight.

Make sure your form is ok, make sure your shoes are right for you and not worn out, and don’t try to push through pain/injury. Everyone I know who has ended up injured did one of those things wrong.
  • Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    I usually run 5-6 a day, throw in a 9-10 day and then bike or hike Saturday and sunday.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Used to. I used to get in about 5 km before work, then 3 days a week another 5 to 10 km at lunch. Then 2 longer runs on the weekend.

Now I've got a much longer commute, so I cut out the morning runs.