I’m 5,5 and 120, should I lose weight?

I am 5,5 and around 120 pounds. I’m unsure how this compares, and was wondering if I should aim to lose or maintain.

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I'm 5'4" and if I were 120 lbs I would be focused on maintaining personally as tgat is around the middle of the healthy weight range for my height and a weight I felt good at.
    Other people might choose differently and prefer to lose a bit. Some people might want to focus on strength training instead of weight loss at that weight.
    What do you want and why?
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 964 Member
    You are probably perfect weight. Do you workout?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    What are your goals? Are you happy with your body composition? As mentioned you are probably better off eating at maintenance and lifting to recomp.
  • hadleyjones16
    hadleyjones16 Posts: 20 Member
    bisky wrote: »
    You are probably perfect weight. Do you workout?
    I do workout daily and also have tennis practice five days a week plus.
  • hadleyjones16
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What are your goals? Are you happy with your body composition? As mentioned you are probably better off eating at maintenance and lifting to recomp.

My goal is to be in better shape, for appearance and athletic purposes. What would you recommend doing?
  • hadleyjones16
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I'm 5'4" and if I were 120 lbs I would be focused on maintaining personally as tgat is around the middle of the healthy weight range for my height and a weight I felt good at.
    Other people might choose differently and prefer to lose a bit. Some people might want to focus on strength training instead of weight loss at that weight.
    What do you want and why?

I want to be in better shape, but I have always had issues comprehending how bad of shape I’m in in the first place.
  • hadleyjones16
    malibu927 wrote: »
    At a 20 BMI you're probably better off maintaining, and if you want to lose excess fat going through a recomp
    I feel stupid for asking but what’s a recomp?
  • sardelsa
    At a 20 BMI you're probably better off maintaining, and if you want to lose excess fat going through a recomp
    Check out this thread
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • hadleyjones16
    Check out this thread
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
    Thanks! This is what I’ll likely do, along with some weightloss
  • hadleyjones16
    Check out this thread

With a recomp you don't lose weight. You'll remain 120 pounds, but you'll be losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time to make your body look better.

I mean I’ll lose a bit of weight and then recomp, or is that even possible, or really needed? I’m quite bad when it comes to understanding the science of it all
  • sardelsa
    Check out this thread

Well the whole point of recomp is to maintain vs lose weight to build muscle and lose fat over time to improve your body composition.
  • sardelsa
    Check out this thread

With a recomp you don't lose weight. You'll remain 120 pounds, but you'll be losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time to make your body look better.

I mean I’ll lose a bit of weight and then recomp, or is that even possible, or really needed? I’m quite bad when it comes to understanding the science of it all

Typically recomp works best when you are at a healthy weight but not too lean. If you keep losing you will get more lean but you won't build muscle, you may even lose some. If you don't have an adequate muscle base you may not be very happy with your results. At that point recomp is fairly suboptimal and more difficult.
  • hadleyjones16
    Check out this thread

Typically recomp works best when you are at a healthy weight but not too lean. If you keep losing you will get more lean but you won't build muscle, you may even lose some. If you don't have an adequate muscle base you may not be very happy with your results. At that point recomp is fairly suboptimal and more difficult.

I understand now, this is what I was looking for. I appreciate all your help as I am fairly uneducated in this matter. I’m gonna give it a go

• sardelsa
    Check out this thread

I understand now, this is what I was looking for. I appreciate all your help as I am fairly uneducated in this matter. I’m gonna give it a go

Yea no problem. Believe me I've been there, it can all be a bit confusing. And eating at maintenance can seem a bit odd but it will really help you look more fit if you follow all the advice in that link. Just be patient and go with it.
  • mtokarev85
    mtokarev85 Posts: 3 Member
    At 5'5 and 120 your weight seems fine. But it all depends in your frame because everyone is built differently. A body recomposite might be the best bet. Keep eating maintenance calories but bring up the protein intake. Workout hard and focus on compound exercises. Cardio alone will make you lose muscle mass as well and makes people look frail. Get plenty of sleep and adjust as needed.