Opinions on Organic Vegan?

Options
I have a good friend who swears by eating organic vegan - and has always said that the root of all health problems goes back to food...and if I started eating organic and vegan than I would feel better. I'd be willing to try it but I do wonder what to do for protein- considering I don't do well with nuts (not the biggest fan of nuts in general). I can't stand plant based protein powder, and while I could technically use that to supplement protein in a vegan diet, it just doesn't sound pleasant to me.

Is there anyone that is eating vegan and can give me some pointers for someone who works out 5 days a week?

Thoughts, opinions? I would appreciate any input to be honest! I can talk to my friend but given that he will never give me any opinion other than "what you're eating is bad - eat vegan" and he is the only vegan I know, I could use some outside help.

Thanks guys:)

Replies

• marycp1962
    marycp1962 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat a vegan diet and find I get plenty of protein -- though I do eat nuts. The biggest source of protein in my diet is beans, lentils, and legumes though. Hummus (which is beans after all) is a good go-to for a protein pick me up. I also eat tofu (which is, you know...) a few times a week, and once or twice a week will have a stew or stirfry with a seitan based protein (which ISN'T beans).
    Whole grains have good protein. Not a chicken breast's worth, or anything, but if you make a stirfry with lots of veggies (some protein), and some tofu or seitan cubes (lots of protein), and serve it over brown rice or quinoa (protein) -- you've got a dang protein-y meal.
    You say "not a fan of nuts" -- but perhaps you could go for nut milks, butters, yogurts, cheeses, etc.?

Like your friend, I feel that eating an organic vegan diet is a wonderful path to health. I would be happy to share recipes and resources if you choose to explore this path.
  • kebeckrosario1814
    Options
    I’m a newbie vegan (and would appreciate recipes). My health has greatly improved in only two months. My cholesterol level dropped significantly and my vitamin D increased to normal levels. I dropped 20 lbs in 6 months. I don’t drink any medication and want to keep it that way, so I went to a naturopath and that’s how I started. I have a fitness coach overseeing my diet and exercise. She’s telling me I need more protein. I’m learning to document everything I eat and the exercise I do. I also continue to visit my primary physician for physicals and blood work, to monitor my improvement. My doctor was just worried that I wasn’t getting enough calories, so I have to count them. It just takes some adjustment to learn what to eat because we are so used to eating certain things. You should try it, but take it slowly and have a professional monitor your nutrition.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's no particular reason eating vegan or organic would make you feel better. In what way do you currently feel bad?

This.

I'm working on eating 100% plant based most days right now and generally don't have a problem with protein -- it's much more from beans and lentils plus some tofu and tempeh and then a variety of other foods than nuts, though. (I eat nuts, but they are more of a fat source.)

It's much more challenging than getting protein when you eat animal products, however, and I tend to have a lower amount (although still enough) when I'm eating this way.

Bigger issue is that "friend says I will feel better" is not a great reason to go vegan. If you have ethical reasons, that's a different thing. If you have health issues, there are better ways to figure out if diet/food are a cause, that would start with looking at your current diet, ideally with a registered dietitian.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    try it, you never know, but take baby steps, you don't wanna shock your system by dropping certain foods cold turkey. I personally don't eat that way, but everybody responds differently to nutrition, who knows, maybe organic vegetarian or pescatarian works for you, or maybe keto, all I can say is, you'll never know until you try.

Personally, I avoid high fructose corn syrup. I always feel sick if I have too much of the stuff.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not a vegan here. I have vegetable based meals a couple times a week.

I am popping in to remind you that organic and vegan is no guarantee of food safety. Here in Canada we’ve had Listeria and Salmonella outbreaks in organic vegetable sources.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here is my go to tofu recipe.

https://pin.it/mqdhtnvlplg5dp
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, veganism is an ethical position. While there may be some styles of vegan eating that would make you feel better than you do currently, I would never assume that someone would feel better just because they went vegan (and there are probably ways you could tweak your diet to feel better without going vegan, assuming that nutrition is at the root of your issues).

I've been vegan for ten years. Contrary to what some believe, nuts aren't a fantastic source of protein. I get most of my protein from beans, tofu/tempeh, seitan, and grains. There is also protein in vegetables and that helps round it out. I do protein powders sometimes too, but I can go days or even weeks without them.

What exactly do you think eliminating animal products from your diet (because that seems to be what you're talking about, not going vegan) will do for you?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ladyboggy wrote: »
    I have a good friend who ... has always said that the root of all health problems goes back to food...

That statement right there would be enough to tell me that this friend is full of poo.
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I eat organic when it is necessary. Done foods are already lot in pesticides, so I don't worry.

I have been eating a planted based for over a year now and I feel the same as I always did. But I know that I am eating healthier, so that makes me feel good.

I think you should drop that friend because they like to impose their opinions too much on people. I think how I am eating is healthier than others, but until people come to me for help, I'm minding my business.

I definitely think you should eat beans/legumes if going plant based. It is one of the largest sources you will find for protein. I don't drink protein supplements and we don't need nearly as much protein as one would think. Look up the requirements for your body and you might be surprised.

Good luck.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing to take away from all the comments so far is this: in what way do you currently feel bad?

Neither going vegan nor eating organic food are themselves going to cure any physical illness. If you have an illness that has an evidence-based connection to eating animal products--say, if you are lactose intolerant or have an alpha-gal allergy--then you would feel better if you stopped eating those things. If you have a vitamin or mineral deficiency, then you might feel better if you eat foods containing that substance, which could include more fruits and vegetables. But in those cases, you should be under a doctor's care and follow their recommendations about your diet.

If your "feeling bad" is caused by eating a lot of high-calorie, sugary, or other foods that aren't satisfying to you, then veganism itself is not your answer. There are plenty of vegan "junk" foods and they're not necessarily more nutritious than their non-vegan counterparts.

If by "feeling bad" you mean that you believe there is something morally wrong with eating animal products, then you might find that being vegan will make you feel better. But that is a personal choice that you need to consider for yourself, not something you should do just because someone else mistakenly believes veganism will cure anything that ails you.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I usually always have seared tofu, some kind of legume (usually red or black beans or lentils) and some kind of seitan (I make it at home) so I can rotate my protein. I eat some nuts, but not many--usually in the form of peanut butter in Asian satay dishes.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I would never discourage anyone from trying to eat plant-based. It's so much better for the planet and the animals, but it's not a panacea. I've lost over 50 lbs since going vegan, but I did it by counting my calories.

That said, if you want to try it, fabulous. Eating strictly organic, on the other hand, is not necessarily great for the planet and may be expensive for you. Again, it's up to you and I certainly won't discourage you, but it's still not a miracle cure.

Protein is generally not a big problem for vegans who eat a balanced diet. I get protein from legumes, pulses, meat replacements, tofu, and even broccoli. For me, with my preferred way of eating, calcium is a bigger issue, so I supplement. I also supplement B12.