New to PCOS

Hi, I been dealing with weight loss since Jr. High and having PCOS been making it tough for me. My doctor recently prescribed me to Metformin but nothing changed except my digestion been sensitive but no weight loss😭. I am a CNA, so I am on my feet all day and walking a lot, but I been having trouble bringing the number down. I am now at a steady weight but I can't seem to bring it more down. I weight 169.8 and my goal is to reach 120 or 130 lbs. Any suggestion? Let's help each other out😁

Replies

• Ironlady70
    Ironlady70 Posts: 777 Member
    I am a PCOS survivor and have lost 130 lbs. it’s a huge change but lifestyle of eating an autoimmune Paleo Profile diet, weight lifting 6 times a week and atleast 30 min walking a day will be your best possible way.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    I beat PCOS with lifestyle changes only. My dr wanted me to go on three prescriptions, but after researching side effects, I refused, and asked him if I could try to control it with diet and exercise. He said yes reluctantly, although it was obvious he didn’t think I would be able to carry through. 60 pounds later, and completely symptom free, (it took about a year), I showed him! It is a low carb low sugar diet. I would love to be friends!
  • Nikolaijj
    Nikolaijj Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2018
    As someone who is younger with PCOS, I can tell you flat out that almost any fancy diet will change nothing. The only things you should aim to avoid eating on a regular basis are soy and naturally purple foods, they're high in estrogen and testosterone respectively. You don't want to mess with your hormones any further. Metformin can help, I used to take it at the start of my treatment, but what'll really help you is hormone treatment. PCOS is your body producing too much testosterone, essentially, so talk to your doctor about seeing an endocrinologist. The treatment is really nothing more special than your average birth control pill, just at the appropriate dosage. If your PCOS is caused by weight, losing the weight can mean your PCOS will be cured, but if you were born with it like me, it requires life long treatment- you can't beat it. Metformin helps to lower your blood sugar to make your body use up more of it more quickly, but getting your hormones balanced is what's going to help you long term.