Painful stretch marks

Hi all

I have lost 22 pounds in past couple months pretty much bang on 2 pounds loss a week, after a larger first week loss.

I have really bad stretch marks on my stomach which have really started hurting recently... confused why they would be hurting when losing weight and getting fitter.

I currently weigh 17 stone 6 pounds, 6 foot. I am aiming to get below 15 stone by xmas.

Any help or advice would be appreciated:)

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    eddied91 wrote: »
    Hi all

I have lost 22 pounds in past couple months pretty much bang on 2 pounds loss a week, after a larger first week loss.

I have really bad stretch marks on my stomach which have really started hurting recently... confused why they would be hurting when losing weight and getting fitter.

I currently weigh 17 stone 6 pounds, 6 foot. I am aiming to get below 15 stone by xmas.

Any help or advice would be appreciated:)

no idea why they should be hurting mine never did not sure if thats common or not. Ive never heard of it so I would say its not. are they inflammed or swollen? if so see a dr.
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    I found when I first started to lose weight my stretch marks hurt, I checked with the doctor and she said when your skin is full of fat it sort of surports it's self but if you lose a small amount of fat there is less tension in the skin and it moves and sometimes rubs differently which was the discomfort. She also said as you lose more the weight that skin is trying to hold up gets less which again changes how you feel and discomfort goes. May be the same for you but if in doubt please see your our doctor
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    I noticed mine had hurt the first time I lost weight (I'm on round 3 :() It almost felt like chafing/itching. I found just keeping my skin moisturized helped a lot, I figured it was because my skin was moving differently than it had been previously (my stomach was hard, and after losing several pounds it was softer and squishier).

I like Gold Bonds Healing Lotion, or any thicker body cream. I just put it on right after I get out of the shower (before I towel dry) and the water helps thin it out and prevent any kind of oily feeling afterwards.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    see I didnt have any issues with my stretch marks hurting when I lost weight and trust me I lost a LOT of fat too. I just lose my weight slower so that could be why.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Mine hurt after having a baby. The best advice I can give is keep it clean and moisturized. And massage it 1-2 times a day. It feels really weird but helps with circulation.
  • New2ket0
    New2ket0 Posts: 345 Member
    Mine hurt years after pregnancy I used bio oil and they virtually disappeared, the sun strengthened my skin too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    New2ket0 wrote: »
    Mine hurt years after pregnancy I used bio oil and they virtually disappeared, the sun strengthened my skin too.

mine never hurt after pregnancy. just itched like crazy while I was pregnant. as for bio oil it may diminish the appearance but they dont go away sad fact about those pesky things.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I've heard of people getting stretch marks while losing weight, but not if them being painful. Perhaps you should check with your dr?
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2018
    My stretch marks get a bit itchy, slightly painful if I lose fat quickly. What helps for me is moisturizing with a liquidy, fast absorbing essence or moisturizing toner (I use a Japanese one from the brand Cezzanne), let it absorb and then follow up with some lotion mixed with a few drops of rosehip oil.

From your profile pic I assume you are a guy and might not want to go so high maintenance, but I do highly recommend finding at least one basic moisturizer that fits your needs. I think the the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream is a very dude-friendly formula in that it is unscented, rubs in quickly without leaving a film, doesn't have feminine packaging, and it is pretty friendly to sensitive skin.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member

mine never hurt after pregnancy. just itched like crazy while I was pregnant. as for bio oil it may diminish the appearance but they dont go away sad fact about those pesky things.

I also found Bio oil great for stretch marks - doesn't make them go away (nothing can) but it improved the appearance of my skin and they show less. It is also good on scar tissue - my C Section scar still is very sensitive after 27 years - Bio oil helps a lot! A relative also used it on her hip replacement scar (obv after it had copletely healed).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

I also found Bio oil great for stretch marks - doesn't make them go away (nothing can) but it improved the appearance of my skin and they show less. It is also good on scar tissue - my C Section scar still is very sensitive after 27 years - Bio oil helps a lot! A relative also used it on her hip replacement scar (obv after it had copletely healed).

it didnt do squat for mine. but could be mine are more than 22 years of being on my body. some of them I got when I gained some weight as a teen. I was110 and gained like 25-30 lbs in a short time due to meds making my appetite out of control. so I gained. the rest I got from being pregnant with my kids