Can’t exercise but need to start somewhere

Options
Hello all,
I’ve been on here for awhile now and had lost around 25 pounds last year but in October 2017 I had a sudden onset of sciatica that limited my activity causing me to gain all the weight back. I found out that the sciatica was from a large herniated disc and I just got a microdiscectomy done last week to correct that. I’m only 20 and in college and I think a majority of my health problems come from my excess weight. I need to lose 90 pounds but I don’t know how to do it without exercise.

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hello all,
    I’ve been on here for awhile now and had lost around 25 pounds last year but in October 2017 I had a sudden onset of sciatica that limited my activity causing me to gain all the weight back. I found out that the sciatica was from a large herniated disc and I just got a microdiscectomy done last week to correct that. I’m only 20 and in college and I think a majority of my health problems come from my excess weight. I need to lose 90 pounds but I don’t know how to do it without exercise.

Good evening! Glad to see that you are back. Sorry to hear about your back issues. Kinda sucks, to be honest.

I would suggest the following to you.....and I think that everyone would agree with me (generally speaking). Losing weight is all about calories in vs. calories out. You need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. Plain and simple. No gym required. No activity required. Simply - and that word is not so 'simple' as it might seem (more on that in a second) - burn more calories than you take in and good things will happen (since weight loss is your goal).

Now, I have a little bit of weight to lose. I find that I do MUCH MUCH better when I am in the gym. Sure, caloric deficit is all that is required to lose weight. But, I just find that things work so much better for me when I am in the gym....it sounds like things could be similar for you?

Do you know what your maintenance calories are? Are you tracking | logging your food intake? That will be a HUGE help. 90lbs is a lot....not being ugly with that comment.....and it might be daunting. Have you set up mini-goals that break things down to more manageable chunks? That might also help! Everyone is different....but I find that several mini-goals that result in a medium goal (with a few medium goals) really help me with mindset.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Your body uses calories 24/7 with or without exercise. The key to weight loss is maintaining a calorie deficit.

Enter your statistics into MFP, height, weight, age and activity level. This activity level is based on your job....not exercise. Then choose a moderate weekly weight loss goal. MFP will give you the number of calories to eat. Meet that calorie goal consistently and you lose weight.

Exercise is not required. It can help, it's good for your health if/when you can do it. But the bigger key to weight loss is eating less.
  • hpurtee1hp
    hpurtee1hp Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh man, sorry to hear about your health problems! I'd love to help motivate you anyway I can!!..You don't have to have exercise, just determination and a lifestyle involving the right food choices 😁 you can do this!
  • MargaretBales
    MargaretBales Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I have gained about 40 pounds since my hysterectomy in 2016 and also have had plantar fasciitis flare up in both feet. I also have a partially torn rotator cuff. Seems like that for every up, I've had 2 downs! But just getting back on MFP since I left. My goal is to lose 65 lbs-70lbs. I'm older than you, but I know from the past, that exercise is the key and I have to do something that gets me moving. I am looking at joining one of the gyms, maybe one with a swimming pool. That way it's easier on my feet and more therapeutic for my shoulder. Good luck! We can do this!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You do not have to exercise to lose weight. Losing weight is totally about calories. Put your stats into MFP and set to lose maybe 1 lb a week and make sure you stick to that calorie limit and you will lose weight just fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I have gained about 40 pounds since my hysterectomy in 2016 and also have had plantar fasciitis flare up in both feet. I also have a partially torn rotator cuff. Seems like that for every up, I've had 2 downs! But just getting back on MFP since I left. My goal is to lose 65 lbs-70lbs. I'm older than you, but I know from the past, that exercise is the key and I have to do something that gets me moving. I am looking at joining one of the gyms, maybe one with a swimming pool. That way it's easier on my feet and more therapeutic for my shoulder. Good luck! We can do this!
    Were you actually diagnosed by an orthopedic surgeon for a torn rotator cuff? If so, and you haven't had it assessed, I wouldn't suggest any pressing or lateral movements till you do or you could exacerbate the injury more.
    Pool work is fine, but again don't do any shoulder or pressing movements till you get clearance from your doctor.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm older than you, but I know from the past, that exercise is the key and I have to do something that gets me moving. I am looking at joining one of the gyms, maybe one with a swimming pool. That way it's easier on my feet and more therapeutic for my shoulder. Good luck! We can do this!

Actually, exercise is never the key. The key is always, always a caloric deficit. To lose weight, nothing more is required. That being said, exercise is, of course, generally good for your health and well-being, so finding something you like to do is a good thing. It also gives you extra calories to eat (should you decide to eat them back - I usually do) or to lose.

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    To lose weight: eat at a calorie deficit. That's it.

Exercise is for health, not weight loss. Yesterday I ran just under 4 miles: calories burned <500.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Is swimming an option? It's a low impact exercise. My mother started swimming when she cracked two discs in her back (FREAKEN deer jumped into the side of her car!)

But ask your dr first!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating is going to be the big thing to make you succeed. Definitely focus on that. As far as exercise goes, I personally walk. Adding in just 20 min a day has really helped expedite my weight loss. I'm not sure if that is an option with your condition. You could always ask your doctor as well what you are safe to do. Best of luck to you, and if you need a friend you are welcome to add me. :)
  • alyssafaithm98
    alyssafaithm98 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the reply’s! I’m going to try logging and sticking to a calorie deficit for the time being as I recover. I see my surgeon for a follow up in a week and im going to ask her about swimming and how much walking I’m allow to do at this point.
  • barbsintx
    barbsintx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone may I join in the discussion as I am kinda in the same boat as Ashley I have lower back and neck issues as well that I will have to have surgery on in the near future, I have put in my information in MFP and set it for 2 pounds a week and staying in the green every day but am not seeing that much in losses I put in the log everything I put in my mouth I walk as much as I can but I get so depressed with the people I live with constantly criticizing everything I eat and how often I eat something small about every 3 hrs I feel like giving up, how much can one person take. I wish you luck Ashley you can do this.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can do for now, and really watch your calories. I understand the back thing totally.
  • barbsintx
    barbsintx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am doing what I can on the days I can and making the best of the days I can’t.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Make sure to log all you eat, and before eating weigh it. I cannot say enough about how much a food scale will help you in your quest. Because everyone has the tendency to be off in estimates for food. And for many foods using a measuring cup is not realistic, but the food scale is. With a food scale you will know how much you really are eating for your serving, and therefore how many calories. And carbs, fats, proteins if also counting those as well. Logging everyday, and getting a food scale was one of the best pieces of advice I have seen here on MFP over and over again. I have seen the results myself, so I do faithfully. Good Luck you can do this, even without exercise.