Food you've given up for good?

Options
2»

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    um lol nothing. I guess i have pretty much given up adding butter to my food. just because i'm broke and it's extra caloires, but other than that, i eat whatever i want
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything. I'm so neurotic that just the mere act of saying "I am never going to eat/drink this again" would make me want it 10x more. I just keep it to a reasonable (small) serving and only have it on rare occasions and ALWAYS LOG IT.

Yup I'm just like this. I can't think of anything I will never eat again, but I try to keep the unhealthier foods to an occasional thing.
    This doesn't always happen, but I'm not using that as an excuse to give up!
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up anything! Banning a food will just make me want it more!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Nothing.
  • bcatalano89
    Options
    soda... regular, diet, light... i gave up it all and switched to seltzer or sparkling water
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    I can't ban any foods because eventually I will cheat. My goal is to just keep things like deep dish pizza few and far between.
  • wilkinsclan07
    Options
    I've given up meat. Been a vegetarian (but still eat seafood, occasionally) for almost 9 months, now. I still miss things like bacon but the hamburgers I've easily replaced- veggie burgers are high in the good stuff and low in calories and carbs. I love them!!! :happy:
  • roballesteros
    Options
    If you log it, you don't have to give it up....but sometimes when you log unhealthy, fat filled meals you realize that it is not worth the extra cardio you have to do just to come out even on your calories for the day.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up anything. If I want it, I eat it, in moderation. I eat very little meat, by choice, but I don't want to declare that I give it all up. Sometimes I do want a cheeseburger, and dammit, I'm going to eat it -- and then journal it!
  • krs5201
    krs5201 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I once gave up drinking pop and lost a bit of weight. I started drinking it again during college and have definitely noticed the difference both in how I feel and in my weight even though I don't drink it regularly and usually drink diet.
    I'm thinking about giving that up again.

It would be much too difficult for me to give up a food item though, because I would just want to eat it even more.
    I think "bad foods" in moderation is the key. Like I love cheesesteaks & McDonald's McDoubles...but I don't want them to be a regular part of my diet!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it unrealistic to completely give up any food. In the begining I thought there were things I would not eat, but that changes the longer I am in maintenance. Even things that at through out life I didn't eat have become staples. Proteins are a given, but I am still surprised at how many more fats I eat.

What I do think I will rarely eat at any point in the future is fast foods. By no means have I become a health food nut, but my body seems to appreciate "real foods". A juice burger with blue cheese and grilled onions, oh hell yes. An over processed piece of meat, with wilted lettuce, mealy tomato, sandwiched between two pieces if cardboard, has absolutely no appeal.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I give up buying my own french fries, but I still snag some off other peoples plates LOL!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    For good (unless it's sneaky and in something that I don't anticipate or know about):
    - High fructose corn syrup
    - Trans fats
    - Hydrolized soy/corn/whatev protein
    - Sodium benzoate
    - Soda
    - Other stuffs I can't pronounce on food labels

Mostly, but if I really want it, I'll eat it:
    - Sugar (not just white sugar-- trying to avoid most of it that isn't in a natural proportion, like in a whole piece of fruit)
    - White bread (or anything with white flour)
    - White rice
    - Pasta (unless it's whole wheat)
    - Juice

Everything else in moderation. Even lard. I'll even render it myself. How else does one make a perfect pie crust?!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i have given up macaroni and cheese. i have not had it in about a year!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    NOTHING. To live a life and enjoy it, is to indulge in the things I love to eat with moderation and responsibility. Unless my doctor says "Eating this will lead to your death soon." all bets are off. I love my cultural food and KNOW it's not the best choices, but have NEVER had a bad physical or any issues with cholesterol or a bad lipid profile, even though I eat some food that would put some serious fat weight on people.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    Mine is ice cream even though very occasinally i'll try it and it will be a teaspoon I don't feel good the next day everytime i eat it. The only one I can tolerate is McDonalds soft serve on a cone maybe once every few months.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    great to see that so many people arent completely banning something from their diets. i hate the mentality of demonising food that goes on. there is nothing wrong with that big *kitten* cheeseburger, or a cup of fries. just a) dont do it all the time and b) allow for it when you do have it.

remember it takes 3500 calories to gain 1lb of fat. that means if you stick to your 500c deficit everyday for 6 days then eat a big 1000c burger on day 7, you are still 2000 in deficit for the week which equals 4/7th of a pound down.