Running (well, jogging) question

I want to start running. I've tried a couple times before, but I have a problem. After running/jogging the first two or three times my hip hurts....BAD. I've looked up a couple things online, and it sounds kind of like burcitis, although that could be totally wrong, the symptoms just seem to fit (I swear, I'm not a cybercondriac!). Everything that I've read tells you what to do if you think you have burcitis, first and foremost is to rest the joint....which is really counterproductive. I have to start out slow with a combo of walking and jogging....but I feel like if I have to stop and rest the joint for a few days every two or three times I do some jogging, I'm never gonna get anywhere. So.......my question is, does anyone know of anything I can do to prevent burcitis?

Replies

• I don't know anything about burcitis, but have you looked at the Couch to 5k program? It's a great way to start running(jogging). Also, you may just need to strenghten the muscles around your hips. The first week of C25K, my hips hurt (could be because I have never ran a day in my life before then). I try (emphasis on try) to go to the gym a couple of times a week to do some strenghtening exercises for my legs. I have noticed I don't hurt anymore.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    I was having trouble in my left hip when I first started doing turbo fire. I went to the acupuncturist, no more pain in my hip :)
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Three recommendations.

(1) Take it very slow. Walk more than jogging until it is manageable. (It wasn't clear from your post whether jogging alone was causing the aggravation or whether it occurred after just walking as well.) A common mistake of beginning runners is trying to do too much too fast. I was guilty of this, though bursitis was not my punishment. :smile:
    (2) Work on strengthening your core muscles. Crunches, reverse crunches, etc. will help with this. The stronger your core and the better your posture the less likely you are to aggravate the hip bursae during running.
    (3) If you haven't done so, get some orthotic inserts for your shoes. This can get really expensive, but I've used the Dr. Scholl's computer fit system at my local WalMart to get mine. It ran about $75 but it was money well spent. If your feet are not properly supported you're more likely to adopt leg postures during running that aggravate the hip bursae and a good orthotic can correct this.

Cheers!
  • Stretch...A LOT before you run AND after you run. When I first started C25K I wasn't doing well either. I had crazy cramps or my shins would hurt etc. etc. I started cadence breathing (only breathing in or out when my left foot hits the ground) which helped slow me down so I could make the distance I wanted to run, and the stretching helped the muscles and stopped the cramping and most of the muscle pain. You're still going to get some...and if you don't have the right shoes (actual running shoes from a reputable running store - if they don't watch you run - then go somewhere else) - you're going to get a heck of a lot more pain. Also focus on staying very loose as you run. If you're tightening your jaw or your hands or your neck you will regret it later on - really any body part that is clenched will not do well after your run. The stretching before the run helps to keep you loose and the stretching after helps to ensure that you stay loose even though your muscles are now fatigued. It will make tomorrow a whole lot easier in terms of aches and pains from using muscles you don't normally use.

There are several good stretches for hips - try deep lunges in all directions - so right leg bent making sure the knee is directly above the ankle and left leg straight behind you while keeping your body upright. If you're able, continue bending your right knee deeper to get a deeper hip stretch...do it again on the left...then you can go into a squat position and use your elbows to push your hips out while you sit in the squat position Don't try to force it, but you can slowly work your hips into more flexibility.