Weight Fluctuation?. Keto

Options
So yesterday when I woke up I weighed myself I was 267.4... Then about 30 minutes ago I weighed myself and I gained weight I was 271.4. Could I be out of ketosis or is it just water weight ? Everyday I weigh myself and I lose a pound if not more everyday since I started a week ago.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are always going to be a thing. Gradually you'll learn what your own body's fluctuations are and temporary gains won't matter too much.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    You should really weigh yourself at the same time every day under the same conditions. For myself, that is first thing in the morning, after I've gone to the bathroom and before I get dressed. I will step on the scale at different times during the day just because, but the only weight that I log and count is the one from first thing in the morning. I can sometimes "gain" 5 lbs throughout the day depending on what I've eaten and drank, and whether or not I've gone to the bathroom recently, etc.

What is the most important thing is your weight loss trend, don't worry about the little blips, as long as the overall trend is going down, you'll be fine.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose fat is to eat less than you burn. Ketosis has nothing to do with gaining or losing fat weight. You have not been losing a pound a day of fat. Most of that is water and today you have rebounded slightly. Water fluctuations are a normal part of life.

• snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning right after getting up and going to the bathroom. Preferably in no clothes. (sometimes a light t-shirt, but not usually). It's my lowest weight all day.

I've had about 30 oz of fluid to drink now, and breakfast. I bet if I went upstairs and got on the scale again, I'd be up at least 2lbs, if not more. Depending on the rest of my day, if I step on the scale tonight before bed, there is a chance I'll weigh 5-6lbs more. Food doesn't digest instantly. I drink a decent amount of fluid over the day. It all adds up.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did you drink or eat before the second reading per chance?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    So yesterday when I woke up I weighed myself I was 267.4... Then about 30 minutes ago I weighed myself and I gained weight I was 271.4. Could I be out of ketosis or is it just water weight ? Everyday I weigh myself and I lose a pound if not more everyday since I started a week ago.

It's not normally, desirable, or healthy to lose 7 pounds of fat in a week. The fact that you've been down a pound a day on the scale is likely attributable to having lost water weight. Toss out this week's results and expect to lose about an average of 2 pounds a week in the beginning.

How tall are you and what's your goal weight?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The only way to lose fat is to eat less than you burn. Ketosis has nothing to do with gaining or losing fat weight. You have not been losing a pound a day of fat. Most of that is water and today you have rebounded slightly. Water fluctuations are a normal part of life.

Ketosis has some side effects that include not feeling hungry and increased fat burning so I disagree. I do agree that at the end of the day it is calorie deficit that is going to have to happen but to say ketosis has nothing to do with it is a stretch.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

It's not really possible to lose 1 lb of fat per day, and when you switch to low carb you do lose a bunch of water weight at first, so you are still dealing with some water weight fluctuations.

It's best to weigh yourself at the same time and in the same state of dress/undress. You should be expecting to average @ 2 lbs or so per week to start, but that will be more like 3 lbs one week, 1 lb the next week, 2 lbs the next and 0 lbs the next.

Patience, grasshopper :smile: and good luck!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Ketosis has some side effects that include not feeling hungry and increased fat burning so I disagree. I do agree that at the end of the day it is calorie deficit that is going to have to happen but to say ketosis has nothing to do with it is a stretch.

So if a person eats at a surplus and gains weight while in ketosis it also has something to do with it?