Any vegans on a 1200 calorie diet?

Options
Finding it hard to stay on 1200 and to get all my nutrients in.

No negative comments please.

Replies

• Jay2God
    Jay2God Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    StacySgu wrote: »

I'm having the same problem and I'm 5'9 idk what else to add
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Jay2God wrote: »

If you're a male eating 1200 calories you should just add food to get you to at least 1500 (before adding exercise cals)

OP - what nutrients do you mean specifically? Do you need to eat that little? Perhaps your goal is too aggressive?

• Jay2God
    Jay2God Posts: 42 Member
    Options

If you're a male eating 1200 calories you should just add food to get you to at least 1500 (before adding exercise cals)

OP - what nutrients do you mean specifically? Do you need to eat that little? Perhaps your goal is too aggressive?

I dont exercise I hardly use any energy throughout the day but any snacks or small meals I should be eating
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I dont exercise I hardly use any energy throughout the day but any snacks or small meals I should be eating
    You expend at least 2500 calories per day. You should be eating at least 1500 calories. You can eat whatever you want.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’m vegan an eat 1200 calories a day. Friend me my diary is open :-)
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan who is trying to lose fat but tone up you get me?? So I eat 2000 cals a day... 1200 is very restrictive to get all your nutrients. Eventually it will just lead to a binge. Just eat until your full ((if it's healthy like pasta dishes / fried rice / salads etc not like crisps and sweets )) don't be scared of going over on a vegan diet❤️
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Not sure if this is what you would consider a negative comment, but are you sure 1200 cals is appropriate? It is very low and would be difficult for most people to do. If you chose 2 lbs per week, that is very aggressive and really only appropriate for those who have 75 lbs or more to lose. No reason to make it more difficult than it needs to be :smile:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan who is trying to lose fat but tone up you get me?? So I eat 2000 cals a day... 1200 is very restrictive to get all your nutrients. Eventually it will just lead to a binge. Just eat until your full ((if it's healthy like pasta dishes / fried rice / salads etc not like crisps and sweets )) don't be scared of going over on a vegan diet❤️

This seem to suggest that no one can become overweight or obese while vegan.... also there’s quite a bit of room between 1200 and 2000 cals. While I agree that 1200 is potentially lower than necessary, depending on OPs stats (which weren’t shared), 2000 may be a calorie surplus.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

You should add a food scale, you posted somewhere else your problem and we all pointed out that you need a food scale and that you're not really eating 1200 calories since you've been losing under 2lbs per week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Is 1200 actually an appropriate calorie goal for you? Unless you are very very short and practically bedridden, it's lower than you need to go.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What nutrients/macros are you low on? I started taking a greens supplement because I don't eat much fruit or veggies right now.

What does your typical intake look like? We might be able to provide some easy changes or substitutions if we know what you're already taking in and what you think you need more of?
  • 20GmsOrLss90
    20GmsOrLss90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find quesadillas and chilli helpful i put so many veggies in and load with spices
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This seem to suggest that no one can become overweight or obese while vegan.... also there’s quite a bit of room between 1200 and 2000 cals. While I agree that 1200 is potentially lower than necessary, depending on OPs stats (which weren’t shared), 2000 may be a calorie surplus.

Sorry I was kinda going off my own stats there, I'm 20 years old 5ft7 and do exercise bike, dog walk then weights in the gym everyday. I mostly don't hit 2,000 cals a day, but I'm not afraid to hit it so for me, I don't really see it as a surplus. I'm just saying not to be restrictive with foods - even if you're not vegan. I don't think it's healthy to say "right, I'm NEVER going to eat chocolate again" ... from my past experience, it just made me want it more and more and more until I would eat a whole massive sharing bar. I should have just let myself have a line of chocolate or a square when I wanted it. Sorry I was just going off my stats, so yeah, it may be surplus:). I'm glad everyone agrees 1,200 is too low. People shouldn't be scared of food☺️. x
    oh and you can 100% be overweight and vegan, just like any diet / lifestyle, people just need to be clever about what they eat:) x
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I did 1,300 plus exercise calories for the last part of my weight loss.

What nutrients are you having trouble with? It can be sometimes challenging to get sufficient protein as a vegan on a deficit. I found including tofu, tempeh, or seitan daily helped me meet my protein goals while staying in the calorie range I wanted. I personally chose to limit grains because it made it harder for me to meet other goals. I replaced things like rice and pasta with roasted vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, etc) or shredded raw cabbage.