Muscel imbalance

Options
So, im 18 and have been training over a year now (first few months where uneducated) due to my bad form ect at the start of my lifting, I now have 1 arm bigger then the other, bicep and tricep (right is bigger) Everything else is fine though, also I have one shoulder, my right shoulder, that is lower then the other (I'm right handed). so when I stand upright, my right hand is lower. At the moment, to fix theses issues, I am only using unilateral exercises in order the even out my arms and to fix postural issues. So this means no squats deadlifts, as I belive it may worsen my posture and then no bench as my left tri (smaller arm) would get compensation from the right (bigger arm), am I going about this right, thx

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Most of us have one side bigger than the other. Using only unilateral exercises isn't necessarily optimal for building balance. Unilateral work helps in many ways, but building overall strength with compound exercises is important too. If you really are significantly imbalanced it might be best to work with a trainer for a bit.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You're still a beginner, it's like 2-3 years into it you stop the beginner gains/ being a beginner IMO. I can't imagine you have allot of muscle mass from working out for 1 year and not knowing what you're doing for the first few months.

Don't stop squatting or dead lifting, keep benching too you have a long way to go.

Like the lady above mentioned everyone has some slight imbalances, unless you're 10 + years lifting and an IFBB competitor being judged, only you will notice these small imbalances. Don't be so hard on yourself either.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think if you just round out your compound moves with unilateral moves you'll see some progress with balance. But as others have said, 1 year of muscle gains isn't a whole lot. Good news is there is more to come. So just making some adjustments is more in-line than avoiding the big lifts all together.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Everybody has imbalances. The human body isn't utilized or developed in such a way that it is perfectly symmetrical.

There is even a study that shows if you workout only one arm the other untrained one can experience hypertrophy as crazy as it sounds.

Haulting squats, deadlifts and bench is about the worse thing one could decide to do. Fix any form issues, a trainer with lots of experience with barbell would be the most efficient and let's the muscles sort themselves out.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Have a look at your scapula positioning, this can throw out shoulder height.
  • MadGainzBruh
    MadGainzBruh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Grow all your muscles symettricly at the same time and eventually they will balance out in the long run, and even aid in posture problems as long as your form is on point. For example, I started out with scoleosis and was told not to hit the gym, but just under two years later my spine completely straightened out. I would never suggest working one side more than the other.