Healthywage

Options
Ktmom19
Ktmom19 Posts: 65 Member
edited July 2018 in Getting Started
Any others using Healthywage as an incentive to lose weight? Or any who have used healthywage before?

I bet on myself that I can lose 45 lbs in 6 months. Hopefully that's feasible.

Replies

• Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I signed up to lose 45lbs in 8months the other day. I had wanted to sooner but wanted clarification on the photos being used for ads. They said before and after photos are completely voluntary and verified weigh-ins/videos will not be considered a submission. They said if I want it to be kept private they will, and verifying referees will honor that even my photos during the challenge.
    Good luck with your wager!! I signed up for an additional 6% individual challenge with my bet as well to keep me on track and not to think that I can put off some loss to the end.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So where does the extra money come from if you win. I had a quick look but didn't want to put my email address in just to find out my prize money. I will assume a lot of people will NEVER make the weight loss and it is their money that pays out the people who do.
  • manderson27
    Options
    Money can be a great motivator for some though so if it keeps you on target and you can afford it then it may well work for you. It is an interesting idea and I will be interested to see the outcome for @Ktmom19 and @Picky_nikki

• Ktmom19
    Options
    @Picky_nikki ... I wish you the best of luck. I would love to hear how it goes for you!
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 I am not normally a gambler either, however I have been doing well with being diligent for a month now and thought I am on track why not try and give me more motivation to help keep my clean eating habits while using the CICO system of MFP. Not negative Nancy at all! I did a lot of calculations and looked at my own stats before going ahead. I did not let the highest payout dictate my bet.

@manderson27 the money comes from people who do not make their goals.

My monthly loss needs to 5.625lbs for my bet, which isn't too extreme, but I will have to work for it! I was very mindful of that and looked at my most recent losses and calculated an average and went well below that. I have MFP set for 2lb loss per week, and on average have lost more than that. I picked my bet based on what is feasible and not the biggest payout taking into account some weeks will be great and others might plateau. I am going to give it my best effort, however, if I am close and barely miss my goal without going off track I will be okay with losing my money as I will have gained health in the process. I will not resort to unhealthy behaviours to meet my goal last minute. The whole reason I am tracking my food and trying to lose is for health. I pick my foods based on nutrients over calories.

@Ktmom19 Good luck! I hope you do well too!
  • manderson27
    Options
    Not criticizing here, just curious as to how it works. I would also love to hear how it is going for both of you. @Ktmom19 I will be cheering you on as my MFP pal. :):):)
  • Ktmom19
    Options
    So far so good....@manderson27 I appreciate your support!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Geesh, I wish I would have heard about this 113 lbs ago. ;) Good luck!
  • Ktmom19
    Options
    Wow! Congrats @bikecheryl that is quite an accomplishment!!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Ktmom19 wrote: »
    Wow! Congrats @bikecheryl that is quite an accomplishment!!

Thanks so much....... now to just lose those last 20 lbs !!! :p
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

My monthly loss needs to 5.625lbs for my bet, which isn't too extreme, but I will have to work for it!

FWIW, I had a doctor's appointment in January that marked 98 pounds lost. I have lost 41 lbs since that appointment, and that is close to 5.6 pounds lost per month. The first 98 took two years, so the rate was slower. It is possible.

It comes off in fits and starts for me anyway. There can be discouraging six-week plateaus and then suddenly it is two pounds a week on the scale and I get caught up. I am not sure exactly what is going on, but the body does not always do what you think it should.

I actually overshot my goal, and I am getting adjusted to maintenance now. After losing for more than two and a half years, it is time though.

• belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I signed up to lose 115lbs in 12 months. It's about 10lbs a month. I'm well above 300lbs so it's feasible for me. The reason they are able to pay out to the winners is because only about 30-40% of people actually meet their goal.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I signed up a few weeks ago. I lost a bunch of weight here (nearly 100 pounds) and then over the last two years I put back 60 pounds (let’s call it grief weight because I ate through the death of my fiancé and brother for a year and then just kept eating for another year). Eloped last week with my new beau (sometimes lightning does strike twice) and planning a spring wedding after the fact. I bet I could lose 60 pounds over 8 months. I could totally fail. Whatever. It will keep me motivated though and you all will keep me motivated to keep it off as you have before. If someone close to me dies again I may put more weight back on, but hopefully, since I’ve been through it already, it will be better next time as I’ll be better equipped to deal without eating my way through it. In any case, since I’m not really a gambler, but AM competitive against myself, this seemed to be a good idea for me. And if I am able to make my goal (unrealistic as it may be),I can buy a wedding dress with my winnings. Either way, I’ll look good in it. 🤪
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hey all, just came across this thread and wanted to gain some info about healthy wage. I'm looking forward to starting one in October so I'll give myself enough time to heal from my surgery. I've lost weight before on my own but gained it back when I became pregnant. I read about healthy wage earlier in the year and figure if I'm going to lose weight again, I might as well make some money off of it. Good luck to you all who are joining or have joined and congrats to those who have won!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I just looked up Healthywage since I recently changed from my Fitbit to an Apple Watch so I am looking for some accountability / competition. Fitbit was great but I would get to caught up with getting steps and not working out as much as needed to. Initially I lost 84 lbs here and gained back some and now I am looking to loose 18 lbs in 6 months. Like RBracken34 I too am very competitive with myself ;) . I hope to check back and see how things are going.
  • Ktmom19
    Options
    @Adc7225 Good luck! That sounds like a very reasonable goal. Let us know how it goes.

I am still early in the 6 months (little over a month in), but I am on target with my weight loss so far. 🤞