Diet Ginger Ale (Caffeine Free)

Options
With zero calories and no caffeine, can I use this towards my daily water intake? Any issues I should be concerned about?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's just water with carbonation and flavoring added.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes the water in your drinks count towards your hydration levels, even most caffeinated drinks count, as well as the water in your foods.

Whether it's actually worth tracking at all is a whole different question. :smile:

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    badbren wrote: »
    If it's true that diet soda can cause weight gain woukd diet ginger beer fall in that category as well?

How would something with zero Calories cause weight gain?

Weight gain occurs from a Calorie surplus. How would a diet soda cause a Calorie surplus?

Weight gain doesn't happen because someone ate carbs or drank diet soda. Those are myths . It's actually harmful to this community to spread these myths because newcomers that don't yet know better yet may believe them.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    With zero calories and no caffeine, can I use this towards my daily water intake? Any issues I should be concerned about?

Yes, it is like 99% water. The only thing to be concerned about is if you are planning to drink a lot of it, some people can get gassy if they drink too much carbonation. :drinker:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If it's true that diet soda can cause weight gain woukd diet ginger beer fall in that category as well?

It's not true that diet soda can cause weight gain, so it's a moot point.

You gain weight by consuming more calories than you expend. A zero calorie drink doesn't do that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

What the studies show is that diet soda causes an increase in appetite for some people. If that isn't true for you the OP, or if it is true and you stay under your calories anyway, it's a moot point.
  • ag3113
    ag3113 Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If you have high blood pressure or kidney issues, the sodium in some brands is a little (but not too badly) problematic. A single personal-size bottle of the Canada Dry version has 120 mg. If your doc has asked you to limit intake to 1,500 mg, 120 is no longer negligible and you should save your sodium milligrams fo something tasty that has some calories and switch to another clear diet drink. Also, carbonated beverages of any kind eat away (however very slowly) at tooth enamel. Years of daily carbonated beverage intake will almost certainly increase your chances of cavities. Note: I'm not a medical doctor or dietitian. Just a guy who loves sweet carbonated beverages and is pissed that he has to slow down on them 'cause of his terrible kidneys! ;)