I give up! :((((

Options
Was on a winning streak for one year and then a mental health breakdown threw me off course and I've gained 10 lbs in five months. I just ate an entire litre of icecream and have another one in the freezer. :( i cant exercise anymore because of my work hours and low energy. All i want to do is eat and sleep. :( How did this get out of hand so quickly?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's easy and pleasurable to eat. Eating soothes emotions. Do you want help to get out of the vicious circle?
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that. Mental health issues can be so debilitating. I suspect that if you get back on track with the right medications and right therapist, you can get yourself back on track. 10 pounds in 5 months is not the end of the world and you can get it back off. But for now you probably need to focus on being mentally healthy and sleep is not necessarily a bad thing. As for the ice cream, I won't ever be the guy to lecture. In fact, I would probably tell you to finish off that other litre, don't buy any more and find ways to go back after that 10 pounds. You did it for a year... I am certain you can do it again!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds without exercise beyond normal walking, so not being able to exercise isn't an excuse. Now's as good a time as any to get back on track -- and if not now, when?

Because you have another litre of ice cream in your freezer doesn't mean you have to eat it.

"All I want to do is eat and sleep" sounds like depression - Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns is a classic self-help book using cognitive behavioral techniques that will help if you think you're depressed. It includes a short quiz for self-assessment.

https://feelinggood.com/books/

A good part of winning the battle is in your head. For a cognitive behavioral approach to weight loss (which will work with CICO, Weight Watchers, paleo, whatever you choose), I recommend the Beck Diet Solution:

http://diet.beckinstitute.org/

Their site lists their books, but there are free resources on it, too: daily tips, a newsletter, downloadable forms and templates.

• jdmaxwell1
    jdmaxwell1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position. For ages I couldn't find the motivation, worked 12 hour shifts and was so constantly drained. Was hating my job and ready to quit and then one day I just decided I was going to the gym with no real motivation.

I went in, hammered it and after that one session I felt great. The more I did the more my energy levels increased and now I can deal with work and find time to exercise.

Diet however is always the tricky part but what I found was going to the gym made me want to eat healthy again as it's pointless putting in all that effort if you just end up eating dirty and unhealthy. Try forcing in one gym session or any kind of work out and you'll feel better for it. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for years and working out always helps as I hope this reply does.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Deep breath. We all fall of the wagon. You can’t change that, but you’re totally in control of what happens next.

I don’t know how much you lost in a year, but probably more than 10Ibs. A 10Ib gain is a set back, but it’ll be a bigger set back if you don’t take control now.

If you have a therapist for your mental health issues talk to them. Discuss strategies for making different choices.

If ice cream is your downfall don’t keep it in the house, or buy just one tub of a low cal variety so you can eat the whole thing and not feel guilty - Halo Top is amazing!

It’s hard to stay on track when life isn’t playing along. But just take each day as it comes, each day you make healthy choices is s great day! Don’t be too restrictive, better today is a whole lot more impactful than perfect never.

Keep at it!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Maybe set yourself to maintain your current weight and get your mental health sorted.
    Are you being treated by a medical professional? If not you should pursue that.
    Throw away the ice cream if you can't moderate it right now.
  • gsnapmccool
    gsnapmccool Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I completely know this feeling. It’s hard to get up and get active. I fall down every day, I slip up every day. We are not perfect, but that’s what makes us who we are. It’s a struggle, but you CAN do this. Even if you just do one simple thing like, make a healthy choice for breakfast, you’ve made progress. You can do it! I can do it! We can do this!! Tell that Depresso Espresso to scram! Show it who’s boss. Add me as a friend if you like. :3 I will always cheer you on!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Not to be dismissive but 10lbs in five months is not a big gain. Sounds like you are still in a maintenance band. Your post implies you are taking action to correct your trajectory. Great. Get your house in order and you will feel better in all respects.
  • asviles
    asviles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, keeping it up for a whole year is awesome. You've just lost your shadow is all. Calm down and relax and wait for it to catch up. Start slowly breaking back into your routine and make sure you have a couple of victories to feel good about before you start getting more serious about it again. Just hit those calorie goals for one week. Just do that much. Once you're on the path to success you'll find that power you had before and you'll succeed again and again.