Silken tofu recipes?

tess5036
tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
edited July 2018 in Recipes
I've just bought some Silken tofu as it seems to have some very good macros, but I'm not sure quite what to do with it. There's quite a few chocolate dessert recipes, but what else can I do with it other than use it as a substitute for eggs?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    My Japanese cookbook uses it blended in salad dressings.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    I normally would use firm tofu to scramble. For silken, I blend it with a touch of oat milk ((any plant / regular milk will do)), salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. Then fry red onion and garlic in a pan and then add the sauce mixture, add frozen peas, season, heat and serve with spaghetti / zoodles. x
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I made this last night and it was delicious: https://www.pickledplum.com/recipe/vegan-mapo-tofu-recipe/
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    I know this may sound weird, but I've used it to make a creamy, mayo-like salad dressing with great results. It just lends itself to make a luscious white sauce for a special salad either with eggs, or chicken and croutons, prawns and avocado, etc...mix the seasonings + tofu in a small bowl (mustard, honey, dill, Rosemary, lemon, garlic..) so it's blended and absorbsthe flavors, and enjoy!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    yes, it's a soft tofu. very soft. best for desserts and dressings. not for baking or frying.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    It can be the base of an alfredo-like pasta sauce with garlic and cheese.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I make a chocolate pie out of it. Basic chocolate graham cracker crust (or oreo if you have the calories), Blend the tofu with 1/4 cup milk, 2 tbs sugar, and 5 oz of melted nestle morsels. Pour in pie crust, put in fridge for about 2 hours to set up. Hubs is lactose intolerant so I'm always trying to cut back on dairy.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,126 Member
    I make a vegan alfredo that's pretty good. Sometimes I'll melt in some vegan cream cheese for a little extra tang. I've made it using both soy milk and almond milk. Obviously, it's richer using the soy. Whichever you use, just make sure it is UNsweetened.

VEGAN ALFREDO

Cook 12 oz pasta according to package directions, then drain.

Combine in a blender:
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tsp onion powder
    • 2 boxes mori-nu silken tofu, extra firm
    • 2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk

Warm in saucepan on medium. Once light bubbles form, whisk in:
    • 1 cup nutritional yeast
    • 1 tbsp dried parsley

Keep heat on low and cover while pasta cooks.

Once pasta is cooked, combine with sauce and season with sea salt & cracked pepper according to taste.