Cross Training shoes

Options
We get lots of questions about running shoes and I was fitted a while back for a great pair of Brooks. However I found that no matter what I do, I just don't enjoy running. It just isn't my thing. Maybe as I lose more weight I'll try again.

I need new shoes though. I could probably get another pair of Brooks very much like my old ones and be fine, but was wondering if that's even necessary.

Any recommendations for shoes best for cross training? Should I go be fitted at a store for something like that? I mostly do elliptical, stationary bike and rowing machine for cardio and free weights (currently all dumbbells) for strength training. I rarely use the treadmill or walk/run on the indoor track now.

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I think the shoes I use at the gym are walking shoes, technically. I find them perfectly fine for the elliptical, bike, rowing machine, and moderately heavy weight lifting. I don't use the treadmill (rec of podiatrist) or indoor track. I don't feel like I need anything special for those things.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that you'd need to get fitted for specific shoes if you're using them for the elliptical, stationary bike (or non stationary bike for that matter), and rowing machine. There isn't any impact in any of those activities that is similar to running or walking.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    How old are your old ones? The old ones are probably fine, and you wouldn't want to use new running shoes for lifting weights because it compresses the cushioning.
  • macflyer516
    macflyer516 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are several options for crossfit type workouts. I use Reebok Nano 8.0's and NoBull Trainers. Nike also has the METCON line. I prefer the Reeboks, as they fit my feet well. Good luck with your search. :)
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    How old are your old ones? The old ones are probably fine, and you wouldn't want to use new running shoes for lifting weights because it compresses the cushioning.
    Old shoes are a couple years old, but only really used for 3-4 months of light running, and now 3 months of gym. The tread is getting a bit worn now with almost daily wear to and from the gym.

I don't know when or if I will try running again, so I just wanted opinions on if there was any need for getting tested for crossfit type shoes, or if I can look off the shelf anywhere. (And what types/brands would be best for my current routine.) If I do opt to actually pick up running again, we have a great running shoe store here that I'll visit to make sure my stride and strike hasn't changed all that much after losing weight.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If you're not running, the best all-around shoes have no raised heel and the sole isn't spongy, which gives better stability & control than running shoes. Examples of good shoes include skateboard shoes, Converse, Keds, Vans, etc. Any pair that's comfortable and doesn't have a slippery tread.
    By the way, most shoes marketed as "cross-trainers" have a raised heel, which is intended for running, but it creates a clunky walking gait, and can screw up form on exercises like lunges. :+1:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    snemberton wrote: »
    We get lots of questions about running shoes and I was fitted a while back for a great pair of Brooks. However I found that no matter what I do, I just don't enjoy running. It just isn't my thing. Maybe as I lose more weight I'll try again.

I need new shoes though. I could probably get another pair of Brooks very much like my old ones and be fine, but was wondering if that's even necessary.

Any recommendations for shoes best for cross training? Should I go be fitted at a store for something like that? I mostly do elliptical, stationary bike and rowing machine for cardio and free weights (currently all dumbbells) for strength training. I rarely use the treadmill or walk/run on the indoor track now.

I wouldn't spend money on a running shoe for that kind of stuff.

I wear Nike Flex Control training shoes for day to day wear. They are a good all around and have good support. They would be fine for what you're talking about. I mostly use mine for walking and they were a good versatile shoe when I was helping coach my kid's flag football team where I had a lot of lateral and backward movements and some light running and walking.

I wouldn't use them much for running unless it was a mile or less. I don't use them in the gym because the only thing I do in the gym is lift and I use Nike Metcon for that purpose due to having a flat and more rigid sole for squatting and deadlifting and other such things.

I just picked up a new pair yesterday for $65.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If it was me I would just continue using the running shoes at the gym for your cardio workouts that way you don't have to go buy new shoes. Or if you want, IMO any ol' tennis shoe from a big shoe warehouse will do because ellipticals/stationary bikes are low impact and don't really require a fancy shoe. If you decide to start running again in a couple years or whatever I would buy new running shoes at that time. But for lifting weights I would wear a shoe with little to no support, like converse or something like that. I lift weights at home and I actually do it bare foot.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    If you're not running, the best all-around shoes have no raised heel and the sole isn't spongy, which gives better stability & control than running shoes. Examples of good shoes include skateboard shoes, Converse, Keds, Vans, etc. Any pair that's comfortable and doesn't have a slippery tread.
    By the way, most shoes marketed as "cross-trainers" have a raised heel, which is intended for running, but it creates a clunky walking gait, and can screw up form on exercises like lunges. :+1:

If you do intense stationary bike work equivalent effot to a spin class, I would highly recommend against using converse, vans, Keds because I have forgotten my exercise shoes and my feet/arches hurt afterwards. Special spin shoes are pretty rigid, so I use a rigid running shoe for that class.

Likewise the elliptical with its repetitive motion can really hurt your foot if it isn't properly supported. I would not think you need specially fitted shoes unless you are having foot problems or had foot problems but something with arch support and a stiffer sole has been my preference.

So depending on your ratio of time spent on the elliptical /spin bike vs rowing machine vs free weights will help you narrow what shoes would work best.
  • snemberton
    Options
    So cardio is 4-5 times a week, 40 minutes most days split between the elliptical and recumbent bike. The upright bikes make my lower back uncomfortable still. Neither is super intense either. Mostly moderate intensity to get my heart rate up 140-150. I'll sometimes do 10 minutes of rowing on Sunday as part of that since I have more time.

The other 3 days, strength training with 5 minutes warm-up on elliptical, then 4 sets of full body stuff with dumbbells. My biggest weights so far are 20lbs. Between the full set of exercises, I'll do the rowing machine for 500m, 400m, 300m, 200m. After that I do core stuff, crunches, planks, etc. The whole routine takes about an hour.

I'm far from any heavy lifting yet. I have to be super careful with building up slowly because of a bulging disk. My trainer and I learned this after our third session when we first added weight to my squats and my back was having none of that. We backtracked and got my form more sorted, but we are going to continue to build slowly as a precaution.
  • snemberton
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Interesting about the heel. I'll keep that in mind. I hate lunges. I'd do extra squats if they would do the same as lunges. Perhaps my shoes are throwing off my form on those and I won't hate them as much with different shoes. I always feel off balance with lunges. I look like I'm doing them ok in the mirror.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    I like Nike frees for almost anything around the gym. They are very flexible and have light arch support, very minimal heel raise.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Like others said, it depends on what you're doing. I agree with someone on Nike Frees, as they are light and comfortable. I do CrossFit and love my Metcons, but you may do a bit more cardio than I would prefer to do in them (they are great to be able to effectively do a variety of things, but I wouldn't want to run longer distances in them). I wouldn't recommend getting another pair of running shoes unless you want to run, as I think they will be more expensive and you'll break down some of the cushioning with the strength training.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I like the reebock nanos for cross training, Hokas for running.